1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic moment

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    Quote from "Spin Stabilized Magnetic Levitation of Horizontal Rotors", L. A. Romero, from SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics.

"Suppose we have a rotor that has two equal dipoles on the axis of symmetry, each pointing in the direction of the axis of symmetry. We suppose that the magnets are placed symmetrically a distance δ/2 from the center of mass. When the rotor gets displaced and rotated, one of the dipoles will be located at x+ = x + δ/2d and the other one at
    x- = x − δ/2d. The dipole moment of the magnet at x+ will be m+ = m0d, and the moment at x- will be m- = m0d. The total magnetic energy of the rotor will be U(x, d) = m0 (d ・ ∇φ(x+) + d ・ ∇φ(x−)). "

I have some difficulties understanding this part of the journal. d is the unit vector pointing at the direction of the symmetry axis. I presume that δ/2d is actually δ/2 * d.

I think that m0 means the moment at the centre of mass. But how did the author derived the equation, m+ = m0d?

Another thing that I don't understand is the energy equation.

The term in the brackets are scalar, if I am not mistaken. And I think that magnetic moment is a vector. But U is scalar unit isn't it?

The equation only make sense to me if m is the magnitude of the magnetic moment. Am I correct to say so?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted