Magnetic moments rules of thumbs

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a magnet being dropped down a metal tube and the direction of the induced current. The speaker uses Lenz's rule to reason that the current would have a magnetic moment pointing in the opposite direction of the magnet's magnetic moment, resulting in a magnetic field pointing up the tube. They also mention using the Right hand grip rule to determine the direction of the current. They question the validity of their reasoning and suggest thinking of the magnetic dipole as a small current loop to better understand the interaction between magnetic moments.
bman!!
not totally sure this should be in the advanced physics section.

its a general test your knowledge question of everything youve learnt, so naturally i can't remember anything...

a magnet of magnetic moment U is droped such that it falls down metal tube of length L. the magnet's magnetic moment points down. indicate the sense of the induced current.

obviously you can use maxwells equations if you want, but i just want to check whether my rough and ready line of reasoning works as well. (as in, using what i could remember at the time, this is the way i solved it, becuase i haven't quite got maxwell stuck in my head yet)

first i quoted lenz' rule, any induced current is induced such that the resultant magnetic field opposes the change. (or words to that effect)

by this reasoning i figured that if the magnetic moment is pointing down ( North to south? i.e. north pole points down?) then any current induced would have a magnetic moment that points in the opposite direction, since this coincides with the magnetic field, then field points up the tube. thus using the Right hand grip rule, thumb pointing up i worked out the current.

this gives me the right answer, but i was wondering if its a physically valid line of reasoning. i mean i am familiar with the idea of a magnetic moment, and how the dot product of a field with a magnetic moment gives the interaction energy, but as to the forces and how magnetic moments directly interact with one another i am abit shady.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your conclusions were correct. Maybe it would be easier to understand what is happening if you imagined the magnetic dipole as a small current loop, which causes magnetic field determined by Biot-Savart law. That field then causes induced voltage determined by Faraday's law which causes induced current that runs in the opposite direction of induced voltage.

1. What is a magnetic moment?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field created by an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is magnetic moment calculated?

Magnetic moment is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the loop or object that is creating the field. It is also affected by the orientation of the object in the field.

3. What are the rules of thumb for determining the direction of magnetic moment?

The direction of magnetic moment follows the "right-hand rule", where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

4. What are some examples of objects with magnetic moments?

Some common objects with magnetic moments include bar magnets, compass needles, and electromagnets. At the atomic level, electrons also have magnetic moments.

5. How do magnetic moments affect interactions between objects?

Magnetic moments play a crucial role in the interactions between magnetic objects. Objects with opposite magnetic moments will attract each other, while objects with the same magnetic moments will repel. This is the basis of many technologies, such as magnetic levitation and MRI machines.