1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic moments

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A system of spin 1/2 magnet moments with μ = 1*10^-23 Am² are in a magnetic field of 0.2T. At what temperature will 90% of the magnets be aligned parallel to B?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I have found the relevant equation:

U=-μB(N↑ - N↓)

where U is the magnetic potential energy, μ is the magnetic moment, B is the magnetic field, N↑ is the number of magnets oritentated up and N↓ is the number of magnets orientated down. My questions now are, how do I know which direction is parallel to B and if this equation is relevant, how do I then convert U to temperature?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2008 #2
    From the way the question is phrased, I would believe the B-field is oriented in the "up" direction; this is because in general the energy of a magnetic dipole in a magnetic field is:

[tex]-\mu \cdot B[/tex]

so the dipole will want to align with the field to get to the lowest energy. In this case, lower energy is achieved if B is pointing "up" rather than "down".

This much I know, the rest I'm not 100% sure, but I think the following would work:

Suppose we have N such spins, then we have [tex] N = N\uparrow - N\downarrow [/tex]
    Let [tex] 2 S = N\uparrow - N\downarrow [/tex] be the spin difference. With this we can solve for
    [tex] N\uparrow = S + \frac{N}{2} [/tex]

and get

[tex] \frac{N\uparrow}{N} = \frac{S}{N} + \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Taking the average:

[tex] \frac{\left\langle N\uparrow \right\rangle}{N} = \frac{\left\langle S \right\rangle}{N} + \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

We would like this ratio to be 90%.

For one single magnet, the partition function is given by

[tex] Z_{1} = 2 cosh (\beta\mu B) [/tex].

where [tex] \beta = \frac{1}{k_b T} [/tex]

For N such magnets, our partition function will be

[tex] Z = \left(Z_{1}\right)^{N} [/tex]

The average energy is given by:

[tex] \left\langle E \right\rangle = -\frac{1}{Z}\frac{\partial Z}{\partial\beta} [/tex]

But we also know that [tex] \left\langle E \right\rangle = - \mu B \left\langle S \right\rangle [/tex]

so now we can solve for the temperature "beta" at which our desired ratio is reached.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?