Calculating Magnetic Field of a Monopole - Dirac Condition

In summary: According to Wikipedia, an electric monopole is "a point charge that has the property of creating a force that is exactly opposed to the force that would be generated by adding the charges of two ordinary point charges." In other words, it's a particle with a powerful field that's not influenced by other particles nearby.To calculate its field, you would need to know its charge, its distance from other particles, and the strength of the electric field at that location. You could then mirror the calculations for a magnetic monopole, which has the same field as an electron but is influenced by the fields of other particles.
Feynmanfan
I need to find out at what distance creates a magnetic monopole the same magnetic field as an electron with Bohr's magnetron magnetic momentum.

I don't know how to calculate the field of a monopole. I know what an electric charge is; but a monopole? As a clue I've been given Dirac's condition between e charge and the "monopole" magnitude.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I expect you're supposed to find the distance BETWEEN two monopoles
(ie, making a dipole) that essentially re-creates the field of an electron.

The field strength of a single monopole decreases as 1/r^2,
while the field of an actual electron decreases as 1/r^3 (like a dipole).

Im not quite sure what your question is, but if this is the correct interpretation:

"at what distance will a magnetic monopole create the same magnetic field as an electron with Bohr's magnetron magnetic momentum?"

In magnetostatics if there was a magnetic monopole, the field would be:

B = (m0/4pi)*(qm/r^2)er

I worry for you because I have done a problem where I was supposed to calculate the angular momentum stored in the 2 fields caused by an electric charge and magnetic monopole separated by a distance D, and the answer was quite shocking.

Feynmanfan said:
I need to find out at what distance creates a magnetic monopole the same magnetic field as an electron with Bohr's magnetron magnetic momentum.
I don't know how to calculate the field of a monopole. I know what an electric charge is; but a monopole? As a clue I've been given Dirac's condition between e charge and the "monopole" magnitude.
Thanks for your help.

What is an electric monopole ?? Assume it is stationary (it doesn't move). How do you compute its field (the electrostatic field it generates). Then mirror all calculations for the case of a magnetic monopole.

Daniel.

What is a monopole?

A monopole is a hypothetical particle with a single magnetic pole, either north or south, unlike traditional magnets which have both north and south poles. It is also known as a magnetic monopole.

What is the Dirac condition?

The Dirac condition is a mathematical requirement for the existence of a magnetic monopole. It states that the product of electric charge and magnetic charge must be quantized, meaning it can only take certain discrete values.

How is the magnetic field of a monopole calculated?

The magnetic field of a monopole can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the product of the current and the length of the current element, and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point and the current element.

What are some applications of calculating the magnetic field of a monopole?

Calculating the magnetic field of a monopole can help in understanding the behavior and properties of magnetic monopoles, which could have potential applications in various fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and quantum computing.

Is there any experimental evidence for the existence of magnetic monopoles?

While there have been several theoretical predictions and indirect observations, there is currently no experimental evidence for the existence of magnetic monopoles. However, research and experiments are ongoing to further investigate their existence.