Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic monopoles

1. Dec 1, 2004 #1
    What is the size of the smallest magnetic charge a magnetic monopole can have? And why are magnetic charges quantized inversely to electric charges?
    Also,can two oppositely charged magnetic monopoles exist as dipoles like for example + -.And what wavelength of radiation would such a dipole absorb?
    How do monopoles cancel out the galactic magnetic field (if monopoles existed in large numbers,apparently,this would happen.A magnetic dipole of the type I have mentioned would not cancel out a magnetic field,would it)?
    And why is it generally considered that there would be monopoles in space and not dipoles (electric charges tend to stay togther)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2004 #2
    Magnetic monopoles are looked at as being point particles in QFT. Like i stated before, for example in the dual abelian Higgsmodell, they are used in order to describe the dual analogon of the Meissner-effect that pushes the magnetic field lines out of a superconductive specimen...The actual charge of such a monopole is determined in those points of the space-time where the gauge of the field theory is undetermined. This means, where this gauge becomes singular...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  4. Dec 1, 2004 #3
    I attached a document i which i answer to your question of quantization of magnetic charge. The reason for this phenomenon is the Dirac-quantization which makes sure that the Dirac string is not noticable when you pass through a surface that is subtended by a deformed world-line

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?