Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Motor

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    I am new here, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, but since I don't think I believe it - skepticism seemed to be the right place. I ran across several sites claiming to have built prototypes of fuel-less magnetic motors. I am not sure what to make of these claims. Any insights would be helpful. Some links:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2

Welcome to the forums.

All of the physics I know says that electricity is produced by a change in magnetic field. The presence of a static electric field will not generate current, no matter how strong the field. Something has to move the magnets, the coil of wire, shielding, etc. to vary the magnetic field and ultimately, this requires the input of energy.

You should also take note of the fact that if anyone ever built an engine line this, it would be absolutely, positively earth-shattering. It would change almost everything about the way we live in a very short time. You would hear about it in very short order. Personally, I would file this in the 'too good to be true' and 'I'll believe it when I see it' categories.
  4. Jan 26, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

Wow - from that site, it looks like they put an awful lot of money and effort into a machine that they don't understand and that won't work. The shielded perment magnet motor is a very old and very common perpetual motion fallacy and hoax. It just plain doesn't work. The idea is that by exposing and shielding (or re-orienting) the magnetic field, the motor will spin. Trouble is, shielding or re-orienting it requires energy too.
  5. Jan 26, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

6. Jan 27, 2010 #5
    I am sure they think the have figured it out but i will lay 10 to 1 odds (no money on this ) that none of those ppl in the videos you are talking about know how much energy is put in to developing a magnet be it natural or other wise. Their for i belive you skecptisim is well placed it is most likely that they can get a reaction untill a fraction of the energy used to create the magnet is used up. and this missleads them into thinking that they are getting somethink for nothing. Please correct me if i am wrong but its just a thought.
  7. Jan 27, 2010 #6
    Actually they have working models in videos ( if i wasnt totally lazy and or trusted a web video enough to use it as a refference it would be linked lol) the use stationary redirection of magnetic flux but the magnets seams to where out over time. Either way its not free nor will it ever be just like oil (a magnet) is created using energy. can this energy be used sure it can. effeciently, y not. would it be free energy, NO it would be the same as using oil or any other natural resorce. (unless i am wrong and magnets pop out of thin air) either way they are totally guilty of false advertisment in the video titles.
  8. Jan 27, 2010 #7
    I agree but even with out "bearings, chaindrives and such" i would still find it hard to belive that it would be posable to get truely free energy. Anywho i is uneducated so what do i know lol.
  9. Jan 28, 2010 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed it is not possible. This is prohibited by the second law of thermodynamics, and the conservation of energy - energy is neither created or destroyed.

Translation: There are no free rides.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?