Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Motor

1. Feb 11, 2017 #1
    I am try to build a magnetic motor using a computer fan on the basis of a video I saw on YouTube. I have placed 4 neodymium magnets at the edges of the fans frame. However the fan has failed to spin from the magnetic feild created by the magnets. How can I find the correct orientation in order for the fan to spin due to the magnetic feild provided by the magnets IMG-20170209-WA0003.jpeg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Fixed permanent magnets won't make your fan spin. There is no "correct orientation". Don't trust random youtube videos promoting nonsense.

4. Feb 11, 2017 #3
    Then would creating a gear system work instead, which changes the position of the permanent magnets

5. Feb 11, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

If you put your magnets on a different fan and power that, you can use it to rotate your fan. That is the concept of a magnetic coupling.

No matter what you do, in order to have anything moving constantly you'll need an external power source. Energy is conserved, and there are always losses due to friction.

6. Feb 11, 2017 #5
    A computer fan is an (electro)magnetic motor. It has permanent magnets, and you apply an electric current to create rotary motion.

If you are trying to create motion with magnets only, and no outside power source, just stop now. That violates what we know about physics.

7. Feb 11, 2017 #6
    Thank you I'll look into that and make modifications

8. Feb 11, 2017 #7
  9. Feb 11, 2017 #8

russ_watters

Yes, this is an attempted perpetual motion machine, which violates the laws of physics and rules of this forum. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook