1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic mover

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1
    Hey, I'm a high school student After Taking AP PHysics, I really want to create a magnetic mover to make this really cool thing described in the picture, a quick illustration. I want to impress my friends when a can of soda pops out at super fast speed.

What I want to do is create some coils to create a magnetic force when current runs through it, on a magnet. described in 1 and 3. The coil is described in 2. I want to ask if I run the current in one direction, can I change it and will it attract the magnet then can I make it repel?
    The image is attached.

Thanks soo much

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You should do a little reading about maglev, and about rail guns. You can use www.wikipedia.org as a starting point for that reading. Once you read those subjects, go ahead and post some more questions here in this thread if you have them.

4. Jun 12, 2008 #3
    I made a railgun in high school. Unfortunately you need a rather excessive (excessive for a high school student with little to no equipment and a poor knowledge of electronics) amount of current to give it some good movement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook