Creating a Magnetic Mover for Fast Soda Pop!

• Thread starter interstellar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, the conversation is about a high school student wanting to create a magnetic mover to impress their friends. They plan to use coils and a magnet to create a magnetic force, and are wondering if they can change the direction of the current to attract or repel the magnet. The person suggests doing some research on maglev and rail guns, and encourages the student to ask more questions if needed.
interstellar
Hey, I'm a high school student After Taking AP PHysics, I really want to create a magnetic mover to make this really cool thing described in the picture, a quick illustration. I want to impress my friends when a can of soda pops out at super fast speed.

What I want to do is create some coils to create a magnetic force when current runs through it, on a magnet. described in 1 and 3. The coil is described in 2. I want to ask if I run the current in one direction, can I change it and will it attract the magnet then can I make it repel?
The image is attached.

Thanks soo much

Attachments

• Magnetic Mover.jpg
    Magnetic Mover.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 343
Engineering news on Phys.org
You should do a little reading about maglev, and about rail guns. You can use www.wikipedia.org as a starting point for that reading. Once you read those subjects, go ahead and post some more questions here in this thread if you have them.

I made a railgun in high school. Unfortunately you need a rather excessive (excessive for a high school student with little to no equipment and a poor knowledge of electronics) amount of current to give it some good movement.

1. How does a magnetic mover work for fast soda pop?

A magnetic mover for fast soda pop works by using magnets to attract and repel the metal can or bottle containing the soda. This attraction and repulsion creates a force that propels the can or bottle forward at a faster speed than if it were simply pushed by hand.

2. What materials are needed to create a magnetic mover for fast soda pop?

To create a magnetic mover for fast soda pop, you will need strong magnets, a power source, wires, a switch, and a platform to hold the soda can or bottle. You may also need materials for building a circuit and attaching the magnets to the platform.

3. Can a magnetic mover be used for any type of soda pop?

Yes, a magnetic mover can be used for any type of soda pop as long as the can or bottle is made of metal and can be attracted to magnets. However, the size and weight of the soda pop container may affect the effectiveness of the magnetic mover.

4. How can the speed of a magnetic mover be controlled?

The speed of a magnetic mover can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnets, the distance between the magnets and the can or bottle, and the amount of power supplied to the magnets. A switch can also be used to turn the magnetic force on and off, allowing for more precise control of the speed.

5. Is a magnetic mover safe to use with food and beverages?

As long as the magnets and materials used in the construction of the magnetic mover are food-safe, a magnetic mover can be used safely with food and beverages. However, it is important to thoroughly clean and sanitize all materials before use to ensure the safety of the soda pop. It is also important to monitor the strength of the magnets to prevent any damage or contamination to the soda pop container.