1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Magnetic pole strength

1. Jul 5, 2016 #1
    Ok, i've spent lots of hours browsing the web and the library and still this question is burning. How can i calculate, whether it be experimentally or theoretically, the " pole strength" of a magnet. (I have read about the experiment where you divide the work it takes to turn a magnet around a wire by the induced current however the magnet i am trying to analyse is not a real magnet, it is 2 magnetic fields that interact with each other and create the same magnetic field lines that a permenany magnet would). this being said, the ultimate goal of finding the pole strength is to use it in the Gilbert theory equation (https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/434c7a409f34d449baf45e6143cc19a2a40a3e20) to figure out the force that this magnetic field pulls a piece of iron with. So does anyone have any recomendationon how to figure out this value? what experiment to carry out? Or even a different way of figuring out the attraction force between non uniform magnetic field and metal?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted