Calculating Magnetic Pole Strength: Guide to Theory & Experiment

In summary, the individual is trying to find the pole strength of a magnet in order to use it in the Gilbert theory equation to calculate the force of a non-uniform magnetic field on a piece of iron. They have tried browsing the web and library but are still unsure of how to calculate this value experimentally or theoretically. Other threads on this topic have been recommended for further research.
Anthony physics
Ok, I've spent lots of hours browsing the web and the library and still this question is burning. How can i calculate, whether it be experimentally or theoretically, the " pole strength" of a magnet. (I have read about the experiment where you divide the work it takes to turn a magnet around a wire by the induced current however the magnet i am trying to analyse is not a real magnet, it is 2 magnetic fields that interact with each other and create the same magnetic field lines that a permenany magnet would). this being said, the ultimate goal of finding the pole strength is to use it in the Gilbert theory equation (https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/434c7a409f34d449baf45e6143cc19a2a40a3e20) to figure out the force that this magnetic field pulls a piece of iron with. So does anyone have any recomendationon how to figure out this value? what experiment to carry out? Or even a different way of figuring out the attraction force between non uniform magnetic field and metal?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is magnetic pole strength?

Magnetic pole strength is a measure of the strength of a magnet's north and south poles. It is also known as magnetic moment and is measured in units of ampere-meters squared (A·m²).

2. How is magnetic pole strength calculated?

Magnetic pole strength can be calculated by dividing the magnetic moment of a magnet by its physical length. This can be done using a formula or by conducting an experiment to measure the magnetic moment and physical length.

3. What is the difference between magnetic pole strength and magnetic field strength?

Magnetic pole strength refers to the strength of the poles of a magnet, while magnetic field strength refers to the strength of the magnetic field surrounding a magnet. They are related, but not the same.

4. How does the distance between magnets affect their pole strength?

The closer two magnets are, the stronger their pole strength will be. This is because the magnetic field lines are more concentrated and interact with each other more closely. As the distance between magnets increases, the pole strength decreases.

5. How can I measure the pole strength of a magnet?

There are a few different methods for measuring the pole strength of a magnet. One way is to use a magnetometer, which is a device that measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. Another way is to use a balance scale to measure the attractive or repulsive force between two magnets, and then use a formula to calculate the pole strength.