Magnetic poles (A simple question but I dont know how to answer it?)

In summary, magnetic poles are the points on a magnet where the magnetic force is strongest and are typically referred to as the North and South poles. They work by attracting or repelling each other based on their orientation and can move over time. They are different from geographic poles, which refer to the Earth's axis of rotation. Magnetic poles have a variety of everyday uses, including in navigation, electricity, medical imaging, and household items.
jayjay112
Magnetic poles (A simple question but I don't know how to answer it?)

(i)Show the magnetic field associated with the earth,

(ii)and use your diagram to explain
why magnetic poles always occur in north south pairs

I don't know how to go about the second part at all!?/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jayjay112! :smile:

Hint: draw a different planet, with an electric field, and draw the electric field round it.

What is the difference between that and your diagram of the magnetic field?

How can the second planet get away without having an opposite "electric pole"? :wink:

I can provide an explanation for the concept of magnetic poles and their occurrence in north-south pairs. First, it is important to understand that the Earth has a magnetic field that is generated by the movement of molten iron in its core. This magnetic field extends from the Earth's interior to the space around it, creating a protective shield that deflects harmful solar radiation and cosmic rays.

Now, let's talk about magnetic poles. A magnetic pole is a point on a magnet where the magnetic field lines converge or diverge. These poles are referred to as the North and South poles, and they have opposite magnetic charges. The Earth's magnetic field is aligned in such a way that the magnetic North pole is located near the geographic South pole and the magnetic South pole is located near the geographic North pole. This is why a compass needle points towards the North magnetic pole.

As for why magnetic poles always occur in north-south pairs, it is due to the nature of magnetic fields. Magnetic field lines always form closed loops, with one end of the loop connected to the North pole and the other end connected to the South pole. This is known as the law of magnetic poles. So, if a magnet is broken into smaller pieces, each piece will still have a North and South pole, resulting in pairs of poles.

In summary, the Earth's magnetic field is responsible for the occurrence of magnetic poles in north-south pairs. This is due to the alignment of the Earth's magnetic field and the nature of magnetic fields in general. I hope this explanation helps in understanding the concept of magnetic poles.

1. What are magnetic poles?

Magnetic poles are the points on a magnet where the magnetic force is strongest. They are typically referred to as the North and South poles.

2. How do magnetic poles work?

Magnetic poles work by attracting or repelling each other based on their orientation. Like poles (North-North or South-South) repel, while opposite poles (North-South or South-North) attract.

3. Are magnetic poles the same as geographic poles?

No, magnetic poles and geographic poles are different. Geographic poles refer to the Earth's axis of rotation, while magnetic poles refer to the points on the Earth's surface where the magnetic field is the strongest.

4. Can magnetic poles move?

Yes, magnetic poles can move. The Earth's magnetic poles have been known to shift over time due to changes in the Earth's magnetic field.

5. How are magnetic poles used in everyday life?

Magnetic poles have a wide range of applications in everyday life. They are used in compasses for navigation, in motors and generators for electricity, and in MRI machines for medical imaging. They are also used in various household items such as speakers, headphones, and refrigerator magnets.