Solve Magnetic Problem: Charge Q w/ Vector Force of B=0.25T

• Thread starter shiu1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, to find the vector force experienced by a charge moving along the line x=y with a speed of 4.0*10^5 m/s and a charge of 1.6 uC due to a magnetic field of 0.25T on the z axis, you can use the Lorentz force equation \vec{F}=q(\vec{E}+\vec{v}\times\vec{B}), where \vec{E} and \vec{B} are the fields not produced by the charge q.
shiu1

Homework Statement

the charge of Q= 1.6 uC is moving along the line x=y with speed v= 4.0*10^5 m/s. What is the vecotr force it experiences due to the magnetic field B= Boz, where Bo = 0.25T?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know Fb must be perpendicular to B and B is on the z axis. but i don't know what should i do afterwards. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to use the Lorentz force.

[tex]\vec{F}=q(\vec{E}+\vec{v}\times\vec{B})[/tex]

Remember, [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] are the fields not produced by charge [itex]q[/itex].

1. What is a magnetic problem and how does it relate to charges and forces?

A magnetic problem is a situation where a charged particle, represented by the charge Q, is experiencing a force due to a magnetic field, represented by the vector B. This force is given by the equation F = QvB, where v is the velocity of the charged particle.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the magnetic field strength B?

The unit for B is Tesla (T), which is equivalent to (kg⋅s^-2⋅A^-1) or (N⋅A^-1⋅m^-1).

3. How do I solve for the force on a charge Q with a magnetic field strength of B=0.25T?

To solve for the force, you can use the equation F = QvB. First, determine the velocity of the charged particle and plug in the value for Q and B. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable. The resulting force will be in Newtons (N).

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field affect the force on a charged particle?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field B can affect the force on a charged particle. The force will be perpendicular to both the velocity of the charged particle and the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule.

5. How can I apply this concept to real-world situations?

The concept of solving magnetic problems with charges and forces can be applied to many real-world situations, such as understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric motors, creating magnetic levitation trains, and studying the effects of Earth's magnetic field on spacecraft. It is also essential in fields such as medical imaging, particle accelerators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).