1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic problem

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stream of 100 eV electrons, each with speed v = 5.9 × 106 ms−1, travelling horizontally along the x-axis in the positive x-direction enters a region pervaded by a uniform magnetic field B. The electrons then describe a circle with radius R in the horizontal xy-plane, circulating anticlockwise as viewed from above.
    Starting from the equation Fm = q(v × B), derive an expression for the
    radius, R, of the circular path followed by the electrons. If R = 2.0 cm, find the magnitude, B, of the uniform magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations

1. Fm = q(v x B)

2. Rc = mv / qB

3. T = 2 pi mv /vqB = 2 pi Rc / v =2 pim / qB

4. Fm = q v b sin Theta

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok the only known variables I have are
    v = 5.9 × 106 ms−1
    Rc = 2.0

and I know from the next question on my paper that fromthe expression derived I have to evaluate T so therefore T v and Rc must be in the final equation.

The problem I am getting is trying to eliminate q
    I started by eliminating Fm by setting equations 1 and 4 =
    but the q on the left is magnitude q and the q on the right is not. so I am getting confused now, have rearranged all the equations and substiuting each different variable but the more I carry on I just end up with a HUGE equation I get the feeling that I am making this way too complicated for myself also am I correct in thinking that as the electron showed cyclotronic motion that theta is 90 degrees? help please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

The magnetic force is behaving as centripetal force required to make the path circular.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?