Understanding Magnetic Quantum Numbers: Demystifying the Concept for Students

In summary: The Diabatic model is a mathematical description of the dissociation of particles in a system. The Diabatic model assumes that the particles are in thermal equilibrium and that the rates of collisions between the particles and the molecules are proportional to the absolute temperature of the system. The Adiabatic model is a more realistic description of the dissociation of molecules in a system and assumes that the molecules are not in equilibrium and that the rates of collisions between the molecules and the particles are not proportional to the absolute temperature of the system.
Nadeem1980
Being a student sometime i confuse about the real concept of magnetic quantum number.
Somwhere i perceived when orbit is introduced in external magnetic field then magnetic quantum number.But there is still magnetic field due to electrons as well?
I am confused about whole story?
Can anyone help me in this regard and please explain it in detail with most simple way.
Grateful to u

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic quantum number (the broken symmetry of spin and orbital 'motion') of electrons in atoms where found when you saw how they responded on magnetic and electric fields. The spectra splitting and Stern-Garlasch experiment just to name a few.

Magnetic field due to electron spins in a solid is called pauli magnetism.

Also there is coupling between the electrons spin in the atom, since classicaly a spinning ball will induce a magnetic field. That is why you call it spin, even thogh electrons don't have any size or are spinning in space (but that is another story hehe).

Also the magnetic quantum numbers falls out when you work out the mathematics of the angular momentum properties of quantum objects (the rotation groups).

Please tell us what you want to know more, maybe you are asking what is the micrsoscopic explanation for macroscopic magnetism?

Thanks for reply and sorry for late reply from my side.
Actually i am confused about the Orbital quantum number defination/description.
What it is ?Before describing orbital Magnetic quantum/spin magnetic quantum number we have to introduce atom in external magnetic field or we use the term magnetic for motion of electrons etc(of intrinsic motion of atom).Actually i confused about the term magnetic which come in these quantum number either coming when we apply any external magnetic field or this term is due to internal motions of atom which quantum number is discussing?
I will be thankful to u if u clear it for me with most simpleat way

Well first, here you can see the mathematical derivation of orbital angular momenta in QM:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=220904 (page 121)

And here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=220901 (page 71)

The 'orbital magnetic quantum numbers' are there because of symmetry reasons. And in an unperturbet hydrogenic-like atom, the energy levels of each L will be degenerate (i.e same energy independent of [itex] m_l [/itex]. But in the precense of a electric or a magnetic field, the energy levels will split up according to their [itex] m_l [/itex] values (see Stark vs. Zeeman effect). So this is why it is called 'magnetic QM #' due to its response to magnetic (-and electric) fields.

Also you can think of it classically, an orbiting charge will induce a magnetic field that will interact with other fields. But you have to take this to QM, where you have a probability distribution in 3D space. For [itex] m_l = 0[/itex] , the distrubution of electron probability will average to zero - so no interaction with the applied magnetic (or Electric) field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rempi

I know about REMPI scheme a little bit but i have some question about it.

In REMPI scheme we have to creat more photons in specific volume element/space means high intensity of Laser light we use there.For example (2+1) REMPI Firstly,a molecule absorbs 2 photons simultaneously and go to some intermediate electronic excited state and absorb third photon and become ionized.

My Question is how can analyse in any case either it is 1+1 REMPI or 2+1 REMPI or 3+1 REMPI or 2 photon transition.Who can we guess what type of REMPI?

Means How much intensity of light produce 1+1 REMPI and how much intensity of light produce 2+1 REMPI etc.

Sometime i think Might be only one way to guess this type of REMPI is to study the transition states of any molecule.

Can anyone help me in this regard to understand clear picture of REPMI phenomenon.
I will be thankful to u

Adibatic model and Adibatic model about photodissociation in Molecular Dynamics

Can anybody explain me the difference in detail between Diabatic and Adiabatic model about Dissociation of molecule in molecular dynamics

1. What is a magnetic quantum number?

A magnetic quantum number is a specific value that describes the orientation of an electron in an atom's orbital. It determines the shape of the orbital and the direction of its magnetic field.

2. How do magnetic quantum numbers relate to electron spin?

Magnetic quantum numbers are related to electron spin through the spin quantum number, which describes the spin of the electron as either "up" or "down". The magnetic quantum number determines the spatial orientation of the electron's spin.

3. What is the range of possible values for a magnetic quantum number?

The range of possible values for a magnetic quantum number depends on the principal quantum number, which represents the energy level of the electron. For a given principal quantum number, the possible values of the magnetic quantum number range from -l to l, where l is the azimuthal quantum number.

4. How does the magnetic quantum number affect the energy of an electron?

The magnetic quantum number does not directly affect the energy of an electron. However, it does affect the shape and orientation of the electron's orbital, which can indirectly impact the energy of the electron.

5. How does understanding magnetic quantum numbers help in understanding chemical bonding?

Understanding magnetic quantum numbers is important in understanding chemical bonding because it helps to explain the spatial arrangement of electrons in atoms. This, in turn, affects the way atoms interact and form bonds with one another, ultimately determining the properties of chemical compounds.