1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Question

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1
    I am new to the field of magnetics and therefore my question will probably be elementary but here goes. If I have 2 neodymeum magnets both the size of a 12 0z can of coke and I place the cans positive pole to positive pole they will repel each other with a certain force and for argument sake say at 1 inch apart.
    Question: If I were to take one of those can sized magnets and place its positive pole against the positive pole of another neodymium magnet the size of a 2 liter bottle at one inch distance apart would there be more repulsive force ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2
    Assuming that the larger magnet has the same magnetization as its smaller counterpart, then yes, I'm fairly certain that there will be a greater repulsive force.

BTW, remember that magnetization is the number of magnetic dipoles per volume. So a larger magnet can be weaker, if it has fewer magnetic dipoles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook