What are the Limitations of Mumetal for Magnetic Shielding in 3T MRI Systems?

In summary, Magnetic Shield Corporation seems to be a good option for shielding a control box from a 3T MRI system. The material has a high attenuation level, and can be bent to form a shield around the control box.
csm09
Hey all,

I need to come up with a solution to shield a control box from the magnetic field from a 3T MRI system. With approval (that I will be very persistent to get) I am hoping to be allowed to place the box at around or even outside the 150G fringe surface.

Mumetal seems to be the best possible solution. Does anyone know the limitations of this material? I can't seem to find much information on the web regarding it. At what field strength will it saturate? I took a sample into the shield room with an active 1.5T MRI system and it was obviously strongly attracted to the machine. How will it behave over a long period of time near such a strong field?

This may be a bit of a long shot, but any experience you have with magnetic shielding and huge superconducting electromagnets will be interesting and helpful! :wink:

PS. I read through the recent thread(s) on a very similar situation, but I felt that this would be a discussion focussed on actually shielding the control box at a reasonable field strength, as opposed to the 5 tesla that was previously being considered. Anything closer to the bore in this case is all fibre.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
csm09 said:
Hey all,

I need to come up with a solution to shield a control box from the magnetic field from a 3T MRI system. With approval (that I will be very persistent to get) I am hoping to be allowed to place the box at around or even outside the 150G fringe surface.

Mumetal seems to be the best possible solution. Does anyone know the limitations of this material? I can't seem to find much information on the web regarding it. At what field strength will it saturate? I took a sample into the shield room with an active 1.5T MRI system and it was obviously strongly attracted to the machine. How will it behave over a long period of time near such a strong field?

This may be a bit of a long shot, but any experience you have with magnetic shielding and huge superconducting electromagnets will be interesting and helpful! :wink:

PS. I read through the recent thread(s) on a very similar situation, but I felt that this would be a discussion focussed on actually shielding the control box at a reasonable field strength, as opposed to the 5 tesla that was previously being considered. Anything closer to the bore in this case is all fibre.

We've used Magnetic Shield Corporation for several B-shielding applications, and have been happy with their products and support (I sound like a commercial...).

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/

Take a look at their product datasheets and application notes -- those should be of help. Also, remember that with mu metal, if it is bent to form it into a shape, it needs to be annealed at high temperature to get its high-mu characteristics back. You can't bend up a box yourself to see how well it works. Magnetic Shield Corp can do the bending/forming and annealing for you, either on one-up prototypes or in full production.

You are usually lucky to get an attenuation of more than 25x with mu-metal and I would have thought a 1.5T field would saturate it anyway.
Do a search here for a previous thread, but be careful introducing big lumps of metal to the vicinity of MRI machines, especially if there is someone inside them!
People get killed regularly because of flying oxygen tanks or stretchers/tolleys when someone forgets.

What is magnetic shielding?

Magnetic shielding is a process in which a material is used to block or reduce the effects of a magnetic field. This is often done to protect sensitive equipment or electronics from interference.

What is the purpose of magnetic shielding?

The purpose of magnetic shielding is to reduce the strength of a magnetic field in a specific area. This can protect sensitive equipment from being affected by the magnetic field, or it can prevent a magnetic field from interfering with other equipment or devices.

How does magnetic shielding work?

Magnetic shielding works by using a material that is able to create an opposing magnetic field to the one that is being shielded. This creates a "shield" around the protected area, reducing the strength of the original magnetic field within that space.

What types of materials are used for magnetic shielding?

There are several materials that can be used for magnetic shielding, including ferromagnetic metals such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. Other materials such as mu-metal, permalloy, and superconductors can also be used for more specialized applications.

What is the strength of magnetic shielding typically measured in?

The strength of magnetic shielding is typically measured in Gauss (G) or Tesla (T). For shielding purposes, a strength of ~150G is considered to be a moderate level of shielding that can effectively reduce the effects of most magnetic fields.