Magnetic shielding using a semiconductor?

In summary: This would allow for more control and adjustment of the magnetic field strength. In summary, the conversation discussed using a semiconductor or magnetic material to disrupt a magnetic field. However, for the specific project, a material with low magnetism was needed. One solution was to use a highly permeable material like a soft iron alloy to reduce the strength of the magnetic field. Another option was to use an electromagnet to counteract the pull of the neodymium magnets. Both solutions could effectively reduce the pull force between the magnets.
nution
I read an article a week or so ago talking about using a semiconductor to disrupt a magnetic field. Generally a magnetic field can be disrupted by any magnetic material in its path. Steel for a basic example can reduce the realized field on the opposite side from the magnetic field source.

For my project, a magnetic material is not something I can use to disrupt the magnetic field. I can technically have "some" magnetism to the material, but the lower the better basically. It doesn't have to "block" it 100% or anything, but a higher reduction the better.

I wish I could find that article and research it a bit more, but for the life of me I cannot locate where I read it. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on using some approach like a semiconductor for this? Or perhaps some advice? I am in a real pickle with this one and any help or advice would be appreciated more than you know. Thank you in advance.

info:
*Magnet source is 2 facing n50 neodymium 2x2x1" static magnets. 2" apart and I need the shielding in between these two magnets. To reduce their pull on one another. But also need to mechanically move the shielding out of the way from time to time, hence the magnetism needing to be low in the material.
*Gauss = 13,800
*Pull force = 251 lbs
*No EM source of magnetism of relevant proportion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One solution could be to use a material that is highly permeable, such as a soft iron alloy. This material will not stop the magnetic field from passing through it, but it will reduce its strength significantly. Placing a thick enough section of this material between the two magnets should effectively reduce the pull force between them. Another option could be to use an electromagnet to counter the pull of the neodymium magnets. By running an electric current through the electromagnet, it can create its own magnetic field which can be used to counteract the effect of the neodymium magnets.

1. What is magnetic shielding using a semiconductor?

Magnetic shielding using a semiconductor is a technology that utilizes semiconducting materials to create a barrier or shield against magnetic fields. This shielding is used to protect electronic devices, circuits, and other sensitive equipment from the harmful effects of magnetic interference.

2. How does magnetic shielding using a semiconductor work?

Magnetic shielding using a semiconductor works by creating a material with a high magnetic permeability, which means it can easily absorb and redirect magnetic fields. When a magnetic field encounters this material, it is redirected and dissipated, preventing it from affecting the surrounding environment.

3. What are the benefits of magnetic shielding using a semiconductor?

The benefits of magnetic shielding using a semiconductor include protecting sensitive electronic equipment from magnetic interference, minimizing signal distortion, and improving the performance and reliability of devices. It also allows for the design of more compact and efficient systems, as the need for additional shielding materials is reduced.

4. What are some common applications of magnetic shielding using a semiconductor?

Magnetic shielding using a semiconductor is commonly used in electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment. It is also utilized in industrial settings to protect sensitive machinery and in research facilities to shield against external magnetic fields that could affect experiments.

5. Are there any limitations to magnetic shielding using a semiconductor?

One limitation of magnetic shielding using a semiconductor is that it is not effective against extremely strong magnetic fields. In these cases, additional shielding methods may be necessary. Additionally, the effectiveness of the shielding can be affected by the orientation and placement of the semiconductor material, so careful design and testing is necessary for optimal results.