Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic shielding

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    i am designing a 3-axis test equipment to test the sensitivity of a magnetic sensor. i need to use three axis motorized slides to move the magnetic probe along the three axis. but the magnets present in the motors interfere with the magnetic field of the magnetic probe.
    is there anyway i can shield the motor magnets without affecting the magnetic probe?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

I would think that you would want to keep all ferrous metals away from your test probe, or you will be distorting the measurements. Seems like your probe holder and 3-axis translation mechanism should be made of plastic or wood or something, and actuated by motors that are remoted away from the probe by a fair distance.

If you do need the motors to be close for some reason, then look at the information at this website for more information on magnetic shielding:

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
  5. Nov 10, 2008 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?