Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic slingshot

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm trying to come up with a mathematical formula to calculate the force a magnet will be repelled at based on its current velocity when the charge flips polarity. For example if a point charge is located at (X, Y) and a magnet is being pulled in from position (X + 10, Y + 15) the closer it gets the strong the pull will be as calculated by vector distance and a charge value of the magnets. If when the pulled magnet at (X + 2, Y + 3) flips polarity, it will be shot away from the initial point charge based on the closed in distance between the magnet and initial point charge(ie the closer it is when flipped the stronger the repelling force would be thus making the magnet travel farther away) . I'd like to calculate the new force of repelling away from the point charge. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Soundstone

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Soundstone
    welcome to PF :)

from what I have read, a point charge needs to be moving to generate a magnetic field,
    when then could interact with your moving magnet's field

have a look at this discussion here on PF and see if it helps.....
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=393658

its one of several threads on the subject, you will find others if you do a forum search on point charges

cheers
    Dave

4. Jul 27, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply Dave, maybe a point charge isn't the right term. Say what I was referring to above as the static point charge was more like a magnet constantly generating a field. This magnet would be the triggering mechanism to slingshot a charged particle when placed X distance from the strongest point of the magnet within the field. I am sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly, Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook