1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic susceptibility of ferromagnets

1. Dec 27, 2007 #1
    Hi first post here. I was wondering if i could ask for some much needed help with a lab report i'm writing.

It concerns Gadolinium metal. I was trying but failed to measure the magnetic field of gadolinium metal as a function of temperature from 77K to it's curie temperature of 293K. However as I am doing my write up I am trying to produce some theoretical values for the expected magnetic field from the metal.

The susceptibility of Gadolinium at 0K is given as 755,000 in the CRC handbook. And I found a journal which quoted the saturation magnetisation to be 253.6cgs units. How do i turn this into a value for B?

I know when you apply a magnetic field to a ferromagnet it's magnetisation increased until saturation is reached. Then if you remove this applied field the ferromagnet retains a remanent magnetisation. How is this magnetisation M related to B?

I know that B=u(H+M) and in the absense of an applied field then B=uM then surely putting in the numbers with u=755000Uo and M=253.6 then you would get a field of just
    240gauss. Surely the expected result would be much bigger. What have i done wrong?
    Please could someone help i am almost literally tearing my hair out.

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?