Magnetic Suspension Circuit: Troubleshooting Levitation

In summary, the ball does not stay levitated and adjusting the 100k pots does nothing to the current or voltage. We believe the current should drop but it doesn't. We can probably help you, if you post more information.
Franklin Lopez
I am building a magnetic suspension circuit. Basically to hold up a ball with a a piece of metal inside using a coil with an electromagnetic current. The circuit has already been set up. The ball is attracted to the coil but does not stay levitated. It should stay below the led sensor and the photo sensor. We believe the current should drop but it doesn’t and adjusting the pots does nothing to the current nor the voltage.

Engineering news on Phys.org
We can probably help you, if you post a lot more information. How are we supposed to help you given so little information?

How about up use the Upload button to show us:
  • Schematic
  • Photo of the setup
  • Specs on the weight/size/etc of the ball
  • Your analysis of the Feedback Loop (Gain and Phase Margin, Transfer Function, etc.)
Thanks.

EDIT/ADD -- Make sure your files are in PDF and JPEG formats for the Uploads. Thanks.

I have tried to add a schematic, and actual pictures of set up. At the moment the two 100K pots are not functioning the way we believe they should be. When adjusted the voltage nor the current seems to change.

Attachments

• Pic 1.JPG
    Pic 1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 478
  • Pic 2.JPG
    Pic 2.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 453
  • Pic 3.JPG
    Pic 3.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 436
  • Pic 4.JPG
    Pic 4.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 445
Could you post another copy of the schematic with a higher JPEG resolution? Neither the numbers nor the pin names on the opamps are readable. The maximum file size here is 3MB, which should be way more than enough to get a readable schematic to us.

Is the ball expected to end up above or below the sensor? (that is the position it should start at, so it just partially blocks the photosensor)

To figure out what is going on, please tell us what the supply voltage is, then:
1) Set both 100k pots to minimum resistance.
2) With the LED shining on the photosensor, take voltage readings at each TP and the supply voltage
3) With the photosensor blocked, take voltage readings at each TP and the supply voltage
4) Set the lower 100k pot to maximum resistance, leave the upper one at minimum
5) Repeat steps 2) and 3)
6) Post results

I designed and built a similar device many years ago and they can be tricky to set up. The optical system in this one going to make it especially challenging due to the very small sensitive area of the photosensor. Also, the metal inside the ball must be attached to the ball. If that is a hollow ball with the metal rattling around inside you have an almost impossible problem. You can also try it with just the metal, without the ball.

Tom

Likes berkeman
The ball is supposed to be right below the sensor.
Will be working on project again tomorrow and will post results
Magnetic Suspension.png

Attachments

• Magnetic Suspension.png
    Magnetic Suspension.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 483
Much better schematic, thanks.
I can't quite make out the value of R3 (I think it's R3, hard to read, the one from the 50k pot to Ground).
What are the part numbers for the LED, the photosensor and the opamps?
When the ball is at the electromagnet, is the light to the photosensor blocked?
If you have an Ohmmeter that will read that low, I would also like to know the resistance of the coil.
The breadboard photos seem to show a resistor at hole F34 which is unconnected.

Tom.G said:
Much better schematic, thanks.
I can't quite make out the value of R3 (I think it's R3, hard to read, the one from the 50k pot to Ground).
What are the part numbers for the LED, the photosensor and the opamps?
When the ball is at the electromagnet, is the light to the photosensor blocked?
If you have an Ohmmeter that will read that low, I would also like to know the resistance of the coil.
The breadboard photos seem to show a resistor at hole F34 which is unconnected.
That is r8 and I think it is 8k. As far as I can see r3 doesn't exist.

wirenut said:
I think it is 8k
We need a higher resolution image but playing around with my window size, it looks like 2k to me.

dlgoff said:
We need a higher resolution image but playing around with my window size, it looks like 2k to me.
I enlarged my screen AND had to use a magnifying glass! I don't know if it's I'm getting old or what, but I've been using the zoom function a lot lately. I tried the same on the pictures and it looks like you are correct on the resistor isn't connected to anything at F34. [edit] On second look the lead might just be long and looped back under the 2 green jumper wires to E35, its tough to tell.@dlgoff As for the R8 8k looking like 2k the font he is using has the top and bottom of the 8 flattened, and his 2's look like Z

Last edited:
wirenut said:
As for the R8 8k looking like 2k the font he is using has the top and bottom of the 8 flattened, and his 2's look like Z
The more I look the more I can't tell.
smiley27.jpg

Attachments

• smiley27.jpg
    smiley27.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 407
I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. That resistor just sets the maximum gain in conjunction with the 50k pot. There are other more significant problems with the circuit, which can only be resolved when the OP posts the data previously requested.

Likes dlgoff
It would be helpful if he either labeled the parts in the pics, or cleaned up the breadboard a little, and listed the parts used.
I am unable to make out the color bands on the resistors, so I can't tell where they are supposed to go, and don't know what the white rectangles are supposed to be. Also the leads going out of frame need to be labeled.

1. What is magnetic suspension circuit levitation?

Magnetic suspension circuit levitation, also known as magnetic levitation or maglev, is a technology that uses magnetic fields to suspend an object, typically a train or vehicle, above a track without any physical contact. This allows for frictionless movement and increased speed.

2. How does magnetic suspension circuit levitation work?

Maglev technology uses a combination of electromagnets and permanent magnets to create a magnetic field that lifts and propels the object. The electromagnets are controlled by a computer system that constantly adjusts the magnetic field to keep the object suspended and stable.

3. What are the benefits of magnetic suspension circuit levitation?

There are several benefits to using maglev technology, including faster speeds, smoother and quieter rides, and lower maintenance costs due to the lack of physical contact between the train and the track. It is also more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly compared to traditional transportation methods.

4. What are the common issues with magnetic suspension circuit levitation and how are they troubleshooted?

Some common issues with magnetic suspension circuit levitation include power failures, sensor malfunctions, and electromagnetic interference. These issues can be troubleshooted by conducting regular maintenance and inspections, using backup power sources, and implementing shielding techniques to reduce interference.

5. Is magnetic suspension circuit levitation safe?

Yes, magnetic suspension circuit levitation is considered to be a safe mode of transportation. Since there is no physical contact between the train and the track, there is a lower risk of accidents and derailments. Additionally, the computer-controlled system constantly monitors and adjusts the magnetic fields to ensure stability and safety.