Magnetic Vector Potential of Coil

In summary, the conversation discusses examining the effect of a magnetic vector potential created by a coil on the spin of an electron in a Coulomb potential. The equation for the magnetic vector potential is given, along with the vector equation for a coil and the current density equation. The position of any point in space in cylindrical coordinates is also mentioned. The attempt at a solution involves writing a volume integral in cylindrical coordinates and performing the integral, but the result is only the k component and it is known to be incorrect. The solution suggests working with a solenoid instead, where the magnetic field is easier to determine and a suitable vector potential can be found.
VVS
Hi

Basically I want to examine the effect of a magnetic vector potential created by a coil on the spin of an electron in a Coulomb potential.
The Hamiltonian of a charged particle in a Vector Potential is well known.
But I have a problem in calculating the Magnetic Vector Potential of a finite length Coil.

Homework Statement

The equation for a magnetic vector potential is given by.

[itex]\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=\frac{\mu_{0}}{4\pi}\int_{\Re^{3}}\frac{\vec{J}(\vec{r}',t)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'\right|}d^{3}\vec{r}'[/itex]

Homework Equations

The vector equation in cylindrical coordinates for a coil is

[itex]\vec{r}'=\hat{i}\rho_{0} cos(\vartheta)+\hat{j}\rho_{0} sin(\vartheta)+\hat{k}\frac{\vartheta}{2\pi}[/itex]

Therefore the equation for the Current Density is

[itex]\vec{J}(\vec{r}',t)=(-\hat{i}\rho_{0} sin(\vartheta)+\hat{j}\rho_{0} cos(\vartheta)+\hat{k}\frac{1}{2\pi})\delta (\rho-\rho_{0})[/itex]

The position of any point in space in cylindrical coordinates is given by

[itex]\vec{r}=\hat{i}\rho cos(\vartheta)+\hat{j}\rho sin(\vartheta)+\hat{k}z[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

One can write the Volume integral in cylindrical coordinates.

[itex]\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=\frac{\mu_{0}}{4\pi}\int_{0}^{∞}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{-h/2}^{h/2}\frac{(-\hat{i}\rho_{0} sin(\vartheta)+\hat{j}\rho_{0} cos(\vartheta)+\hat{k}\frac{1}{2\pi})\delta (\rho-\rho_{0})}{(\rho-\rho_{0})^2+(z-\frac{1}{2\pi})^2}\rho dz d\vartheta d\rho[/itex]

And performing the integral you finally end up with only the k component.
Which must be wrong because I know that the Magnetic Vector Potential is finite outside of the coil.

Please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
Typically, direct integrations of this kind are very difficult and you're going to have a hard time if you don't make any simplifications. For example, the field here is likely to get very complicated near the coil so i would certainly not expect a solution in closed form... Instead i would work with a solenoid, for which the magnetic field is easy to determine and is a good approximation as long as you don't get too close to the coil, then find a suitable vector potential from that.
(Incidentally, in your attempt of a solution the denominator is wrong...)

1. What is the Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil?

The Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil is a physical quantity that describes the magnetic field produced by a coil of wire. It is a vector field that can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space surrounding the coil.

2. How is the Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil calculated?

The Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil is calculated using the Biot-Savart Law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space is proportional to the current flowing through the coil and the distance from the point to the coil. It is also dependent on the geometry of the coil, including its shape and orientation.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil?

The Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) in the SI system of units. In the cgs system of units, it is measured in units of ergs per gauss (ergs/G).

4. How does the Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil relate to the magnetic field it produces?

The Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil is directly related to the magnetic field it produces. In fact, the magnetic field can be calculated from the Magnetic Vector Potential using the equation: B = ∇ x A, where B is the magnetic field and A is the Magnetic Vector Potential.

5. What are some practical applications of the Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil?

The Magnetic Vector Potential of a Coil has many practical applications. It is used in the design of various electromagnetic devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic field mapping and in the study of electromagnetic fields in materials.