1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic vector potential

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    hi everybody
    i want to solve the wave equation of the magnetic vector potential numerically in x-y plane grid,
    curl curl A= µ J
    anyone can help me

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Well first you should use the identity "curl squared = grad div - del squared": ∇ x (∇ x A) = ∇ ∇·A - ∇2 A. Then choose a gauge ∇·A = 0. You're left with Laplace's equation, which can be solved numerically.

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    thanks, but i have another question , the reusltant equation will be ∇^2 A=-µ J, and A is a vector, not a scalar, this one is not Laplace , is Poisson, or

5. Jun 22, 2011 #4
    because the A is a vector then must be put in links of the grid, not on the nodes, or?

6. Jun 22, 2011 #5

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But J is a vector too. Solve the vector components separately in Cartesian coordinates and you have three Laplacian equations.

7. Jun 22, 2011 #6
    do you mean that
    ∇^2 Ax=Jx,
    ∇^2 Ay=Jy,
    ∇^2 Az=Jz,
    and Ax, Ay, Az lies on the grid nodes

8. Jun 22, 2011 #7

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As you wish, though there are a few ways to setup the grid for electromagnetics depending on the exact numerical procedure. For example, a common grid for FDTD, the Yee grid, will offset the electric and magnetic fields from the grid points. That may also be appropriate here if you wish to do a second order finite difference approach.

9. Jun 22, 2011 #8
    please , can you show me some examples to discrization of the magentic field potential in x-y-z plan , if any one has a paper of chapter of book can help me. and which methods could be stable numerically

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook