1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Vector Potential

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the magnetic field B=k/s3 z determine the magnetic vector potential A. For simplicity, assume that A does not have a component in the s direction.

(I don't know if this is relevant but this was a follow up question to one in which I was required to find the induced current for a bar moving along a semicircular loop of wire - like a slide wire generator bent into a semicircular shape - and then the torque on the bar due to the magnetic force and then the position ∅ at which the bar comes to rest.)

2. Relevant equations

Curl of A = B

Divergence of A = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

The z component of the curl of A in cylindrical coordinates is:
    1/s[d(sA)/ds - d(As)/d∅]

The B field we are considering has only a z component so the s and components of the curl of A can be disregarded. Also, we are told in the problem that As = 0 so the only surviving term, equal to B, is:

1/s d(A)/ds = k/s3

Separating the variables:

∫ d(sA) = ∫ (k/s2) ds

After integration, we get:

A = -k/s2 + C/s

Where C is the integration constant.

This is as far as I got....I'm not sure how how to find out what C is. Any tips would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi beth92! :smile:

vector potential is like scalar potential …

only the potential difference matters, so you can add any constant vector you like! :tongue2:

i'd add 0 o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook