Magnetic Vector Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of finding the vector potential for an infinite uniform surface current with constant current sheet, and the confusion over the use of a negative sign in equation (7) compared to equation (5). It is clarified that equation (5) is not a solution for the vector potential, but rather an integral of the magnetic field.
fricke
Not a homework question! I am doing exercises for upcoming final exam.

So, I get stuck at question 5.27 (Griffith 4th edition textbook).

Question:
Find the vector potential above and below an infinite uniform surface current with constant current sheet, K flowing at positive x direction.

I get really stuck so I googled the answer and it shows like this:
http://www.physicspages.com/2013/03/11/magnetic-vector-potential-of-an-infinite-wire/

What I don't understand is, from the link there, why does equation (7) need negative sign? I mean, we already obtain a nice solution in equation (5).

Help me please, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
fricke said:
Not a homework question! I am doing exercises for upcoming final exam.

That counts as homework as far as Physics Forums is concerned. This thread has been moved accordingly.

fricke said:
why does equation (7) need negative sign? I mean, we already obtain a nice solution in equation (5).

Equation (5) is not a solution for the vector potential, which is what you are supposed to find. It's a solution for the integral of the magnetic field over a given area, which is equal to the line integral of the vector potential around its boundary. Try comparing equation (5) with equation (6).

What is Magnetic Vector Potential?

The Magnetic Vector Potential is a physical quantity that is used to describe the magnetic field in a given region of space. It is a mathematical construct that is used to simplify the calculations of the magnetic field in situations where the electric current distribution is complex.

How is Magnetic Vector Potential related to magnetic fields?

The Magnetic Vector Potential is directly related to the magnetic field through the equation B = ∇ x A, where B is the magnetic field, ∇ is the gradient operator, and A is the Magnetic Vector Potential. This means that the Magnetic Vector Potential is an essential tool for understanding and calculating magnetic fields.

What are the units of Magnetic Vector Potential?

The units of Magnetic Vector Potential are joules per ampere (J/A) in the SI system. In other systems, such as the cgs system, the units are ergs per gauss (erg/G).

Can Magnetic Vector Potential be measured?

No, Magnetic Vector Potential cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical construct and does not have a physical existence. However, its effects can be observed and measured through changes in the magnetic field.

What are some practical applications of Magnetic Vector Potential?

Magnetic Vector Potential has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used in electromagnetic theory, quantum mechanics, and materials science to study and understand the behavior of magnetic fields. It is also used in the design and analysis of electric motors, generators, and other electromagnetic devices.