1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Vector Potential

1. Jul 31, 2015 #1
    Not a homework question! I am doing exercises for upcoming final exam.

So, I get stuck at question 5.27 (Griffith 4th edition textbook).

Question:
    Find the vector potential above and below an infinite uniform surface current with constant current sheet, K flowing at positive x direction.

I get really stuck so I googled the answer and it shows like this:
    http://www.physicspages.com/2013/03/11/magnetic-vector-potential-of-an-infinite-wire/

What I don't understand is, from the link there, why does equation (7) need negative sign? I mean, we already obtain a nice solution in equation (5).

Help me please, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That counts as homework as far as Physics Forums is concerned. This thread has been moved accordingly.

Equation (5) is not a solution for the vector potential, which is what you are supposed to find. It's a solution for the integral of the magnetic field over a given area, which is equal to the line integral of the vector potential around its boundary. Try comparing equation (5) with equation (6).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted