Making Steel Wheels Magnetic for Model Train Track

In summary, the conversation discusses different ideas and theories for creating a model train that can go "upsides down" and resist derailment. The options of using a steel track and soft iron wheels, employing a permanent magnet or electromagnet, and utilizing a magnetic waveform for propulsion are all considered. The conversation also touches on the need for a free suspension system and magnetic ball joints to ensure the train stays on the track.
Mike Gaffer
I have a project I'm working on where I need to have a model train be able to have an electromagnet hold its wheels to the track -- so that it can go "upsides down" and resist derailment.

I'm making the wheels and the track -- so all options are on the table.

If I used a steel track (say 1/4"x1/x4" square stock) and soft iron wheels, what would be the best way to put a coil or coils such that the wheels would be "pulled" to the track? Coils inside the hub of the wheels? just wrap the axle of the train and hope the magnetism transfers? Looking for any ideas and theory on this...

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does it absolutely have to be electromagnetic? If the wheels had some kind of flange that hooked into a groove in the tracks it might work without the need for magnets. You could arrange the flange to be properly tapered, as the wheels normally are, to help keep the train on the track as usual. You would have to support the rails such that the flange could get on the correct side and not interfere with the support of the rails. Maybe look at how "hanging" monorails are supported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal_Suspension_Railway

To take another approach, if it absolutely has to be electromagnetic, does the electromagnet have to be in the wheels? There isn't much room in the wheels of the typical model train for a powerful electromagnet. If there were a nice iron strip down the middle of the track, between the rails, and the electromagnet was in the body of each engine or car of the model train, you would have more room to insert a nice magnetic coil.

Likes Mike Gaffer
Great thought -- flange idea was considered... but it does have to be electromagnetic... We do have 24VAC to work with at least :)

If I were to do this, would it be better to use a permanently mounted electromagnet like shown in drawing #1...
IMG_20150727_155426.jpg
OR use the wheels, axle and tracks as all sort of a magnet core, similar to the core of a transformer... like shown in pic #2?

IMG_20150727_160159.jpg

Any input is appreciated!
Ted

Just use a permanent horseshoe-shaped magnet on the underside of each car and run a ferrous plate between the rails all along the track. Tune the magnet faces to be about 1-2mm above the ferrous plate string, and that should hold each car to the rails pretty reliably. :smile:

Likes Mike Gaffer
You need to contrive closed magnetic circuits as far as possible .

One way would be to use (several) horseshoe electromagnets with poles which faced left and right faces of any rail and with minimum gap ..

Likes Mike Gaffer
Nidum said:
You need to contrive closed magnetic circuits as far as possible .

One way would be to use (several) horseshoe electromagnets with poles which faced left and right faces of any rail and with minimum gap ..
I really like this idea... I'm going to run a few bench tests with a mock up based on this idea... Thank you!

There was a time when the motor current pick-up wheels on model locomotives were permanent magnets. Rare-earth permanent magnets would be a better way to go if they could be blended with electromagnets. Toroidal PMs as used in microwave ovens will be lighter than electromagnets.

Magnetic wheels capable of supporting an inverted train will have a couple of problems.

Firstly; The magnetic poles, N & S, will need to alternate between wheels on each track. So two adjacent magnetic axles will complete their opposite polarity magnetic circuit through individual rails. Each pair of axles forming a bogie should also work in magnetic conjunction with their neighbouring pairs.

Secondly; Magnetic wheels will only “stick” while they remain in close contact. For that reason each axle will need a free suspension so it does not have to carry any greater share of the load or lose contact where the track twists. That precludes spring suspension on individual wheels or axles. It will need to employ a rocking tandem system that does not break the magnetic circuit. The rocking of the two sides will need to be independent so as to follow helical sections of track.That may require magnetic ball joints.

Mike Gaffer said:
I have a project I'm working on where I need to have a model train be able to have an electromagnet hold its wheels to the track -- so that it can go "upsides down" and resist derailment.

I'm making the wheels and the track -- so all options are on the table.

If I used a steel track (say 1/4"x1/x4" square stock) and soft iron wheels, what would be the best way to put a coil or coils such that the wheels would be "pulled" to the track? Coils inside the hub of the wheels? just wrap the axle of the train and hope the magnetism transfers? Looking for any ideas and theory on this...

Thanks in advance,

Ted

I'd use a permanent magnet to hold the train to the track (or even better, do away with the wheels and make the baseplate of each train car of aluminum so you can use maglev). For propulsion, do a search on YouTube for Professor Eric Laithewaite. He's got some videos describing how he perfected making electromagnets set up a traveling magnetic waveform such that the wheels of a toy train were pulled along the track.

What is the purpose of making steel wheels magnetic for model train track?

The purpose of making steel wheels magnetic for model train track is to create a stronger and more efficient connection between the train wheels and the track. This allows for smoother movement and better control of the train on the track.

How does the process of making steel wheels magnetic for model train track work?

The process involves using a magnet or magnetic material on the train wheels, which creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field in the track. This creates a strong attraction between the wheels and the track, allowing for better traction and movement.

What are the benefits of making steel wheels magnetic for model train track?

The benefits of making steel wheels magnetic for model train track include smoother movement of the train, better control and stability, and the ability to easily change directions on the track. It also reduces the chances of derailment and improves the overall performance of the train.

Can any type of steel be used to make magnetic wheels for model train track?

No, not all types of steel are magnetic. In order for the wheels to be magnetic, they must be made from a type of steel that contains iron, nickel, and cobalt, which are the elements that make a material magnetic. Stainless steel, for example, is not magnetic and would not work for this purpose.

Is it safe to use magnets for making steel wheels magnetic for model train track?

Yes, it is safe to use magnets for this purpose. The magnets used are typically small and are not strong enough to cause harm. However, it is important to keep them away from electronic devices such as pacemakers, as they may interfere with their function.