Magnetically Powered Hovercraft / Absolute Zero

In summary, Ben is a new user on the website and may ask some stupid questions because he is 13 years old. He is making three hovercrafts for a science fair project - two air powered and one magnetically powered. He asks a question about magnets and absolute zero, but is told that achieving absolute zero is not possible on Earth, especially for a high school lab project. He may have gotten his idea from MRI scanners, which use superconducting magnets. Ben is thanked for his contribution and encouraged to continue posting within the guidelines.
EmoMusicPwnz
Hey everybody I'm new to this website, so if I'm doing anything wrong just tell me. Also, I may ask some really stupid questions but that's just because I am 13 years old. Anyways here goes...

I'm making hovercrafts for a 7th grade science fair project. I think I'm going to make 2 air powered hovercrafts and one magnetically powered hovercraft.

About the magnetically powered hovercraft I have a question. (and if the first question is wrong skip the rest of the post)

1) Do magnets grow stronger the nearer they are to absolute zero temperature?

2) If Q#1 is true, since I've heard it's impossible to achieve absolute zero on earth, what is the easiest way to get even remotely near it? Or am I way above my head with this?

Anyways thanks.

-Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Emo.

Sorry to tell you this, but you're way above your head with this. :smile:

Absolute zero is 273 degrees below the freezing point of water. Bear in mind that your domestic freezer might go down to 15 degrees below zero (Celcius) you'll understand that getting anywhere near absolute zero is just not within the scope of a high school lab, let alone a hovercraft.

You may have got your idea from hearing about things like MRI scanners. These produce a massive magnetic field produced by superconducting magnets (AFAIK a few degrees off absolute zero).

Feel free to keep posting your ideas, most people will be willing to help as long as you stick to the guidelines! Good luck.

Alright thanks. I thought it would be really, really, really hard to accomplish.
Just had to check.

-Ben

1. What is a Magnetically Powered Hovercraft?

A Magnetically Powered Hovercraft is a vehicle that uses magnetic forces to generate lift and propel itself above a surface. It works by utilizing a magnetic field to create a repulsive force between the vehicle and the surface, allowing it to hover and move without making contact with the ground.

2. How does a Magnetically Powered Hovercraft work?

A Magnetically Powered Hovercraft works by using a combination of permanent magnets and electromagnets. The permanent magnets are mounted on the vehicle and create a magnetic field, while the electromagnets, controlled by an electrical current, generate a repulsive force between the vehicle and the surface.

3. What is Absolute Zero?

Absolute Zero is the lowest possible temperature that can be reached, at which point all molecular motion stops. It is represented as 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius. It is considered the theoretical lower limit of temperature and is impossible to achieve in reality.

4. Why is Absolute Zero important in science?

Absolute Zero is important in science because it serves as a reference point for temperature scales, such as Kelvin and Celsius. It is also a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is used to explain the behavior of materials at extremely low temperatures.

5. Can Absolute Zero be reached?

No, Absolute Zero cannot be reached. It is considered a theoretical limit and is impossible to achieve in reality due to the laws of thermodynamics. However, scientists have been able to reach extremely low temperatures, just a fraction of a degree above Absolute Zero, in laboratory settings using advanced techniques and equipment.