Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magneticfield compression

1. Aug 8, 2015 #1
    I was wondering what would happen if you were to have two really strong repelling magnets that were being forced together by a sphere of let's say solid copper mesh and then spun the magnets or sphere or both at a really high rpm. Or just a really strong compressed magnetic field however the strongest way of making that is and the strongest way of compressing a magetic field (if you can enlighten me on those it would be appreciated). I've been reading up a little bit on eddy currents and am basically wondering what would happen if you were to trap these currents and create an extremely intense magnetic flux? How and would these effect gravity?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The second magnet makes the field weaker. You have to arrange them to attract each other to make the field stronger.
    Rotating the setup will lead to relativistic corrections at purely hypothetical speeds - so what? There are better ways to generate strong fields.
    This has nothing to do with gravity or eddy currents.

4. Aug 8, 2015 #3

Hesch

Gold Member

The flux density ( the B-field ) will not be extremely. The flux will seep through the sides of the magnets, when they are closed up. The flux will find a path with less counter mmf. Say you sketch the field lines of the two magnets, they can never cross each other or even close up. If so, Amperes law would not apply.

5. Aug 8, 2015 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Aug 8, 2015 #5

Hesch

Gold Member

To produce a strong B-field, you could make a solenoid with a core with high permeability, then sharpen the one end. Then the B-field will be narrowed at this end, but will not be stronger than a field that the core material can conduct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook