1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetics question!

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1
    A long piece of wire with a mass of 0.1kg and a total length of 4m is used to make a square coil with a side of 0.1m. The coil is hinged along a horizontal side, carries a 3.4A current, and is placed in a vertical magnetic field with a magnitude of 0.01T.
    a) Determine the angle that the plane of the coil makes with the vertical when the coil is in equilibrium.

For this part I was thinking, mg = F = BILcos phi, where phi is the angle with respect to the vertical...
    phi = arccos (mg/BIL)
    Now, I thought, "Which L can I use?" and I couldn't find the answer using different values.. can anyone please show me where I went wrong?

b) Find the torque acting on t he coil due to the magnetic force at equilibrium.
    I'm guessing a) will give me what I need for this part.

The answers are:
    a) 3.97deg
    b) 3.39 x 10^-3 Nm

Thanks for any pointers!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you account for multiple turns of the wire? (total length is 4 meters but the perimeter of the square is only 0.4 meters)

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3
    Isn't that only relevant to the torque?

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The current runs through each loop and the total current interacts with the applied field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?