Magnetisation and susceptibility

In summary, the relationship between free energy, F, and magnetization, M, is explained. The free energy of a system of N independent spin-1/2 paramagnets in a field is found to be -kTN.log[2cosh(\beta\mu H)] and the susceptibility is found to be \frac{\partial M}{\partial H}\right).
T-7

Homework Statement

1. State a relationship between the free energy, F, and the magnetisation, M.

2. State a partition function for the case of a system of N independent spin-1/2 paramagnets in a field, and derive an expression for its susceptibility.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) Looking in my notes, I see that [tex]dF = - MdH - SdT[/tex] (*). It follows, then, that

[tex]M = \left(-\frac{\partial F}{\partial H}\right)_{T}[/tex]

That's the question answered, but I wonder how one arrives at this expression for F.

I know that [tex]F = U - TS[/tex] and [tex]dW = - HdM[/tex], so it would seem that

[tex]dF = TdS - dW - TdS - SdT = -dW - SdT = HdM - SdT[/tex]

ie. not [tex]MdH[/tex]. Could someone show me how (*) is derived?

(2) For the whole system, I find that

[tex] Z = 2^{N}cosh^{N}(\beta\mu H) [/tex] ([tex]H[/tex] is my field, [tex]\mu[/tex] is the Bohr magneton )

I thus find the free energy to be

[tex]F = -kTN.log[2cosh(\beta\mu H)][/tex]

And thus, by the relationship stated above,

[tex]M = N\mu tanh(\frac{\mu H}{kT})[/tex]

The susceptibility, I presume, is [tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial H}\right)[/tex]. It comes out for me as

[tex]\frac{N\mu^{2}}{kT} sech^{2}(\frac{\mu H}{kT})[/tex]

(which, I find, tends to [tex]\frac{N\mu^{2}}{kT}[/tex] in the limit of low field or high temperature.

Does that seem sensible?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your post contains some confusion. First, your equation (*) for Helmholtz free energy should be written with dF rather than F.

Here's a quick trick that may be helpful for treating the magnetization. How can we decide without derivation whether dW is HdM or MdH? Well, the differential energy dF is extensive (depends on volume), and only HdM depends differentially on a volume-dependent quantity M. Accordingly

[tex]dF=HdM-SdT.[/tex] This should replace your (*).

From this we can say that [tex]H=(\partial F/\partial M)_{T}[/tex].

To get M, we need to define a new quantity, usually called Gibbs free energy,

[tex]G=F-HM.[/tex] By Legendre transformation,

[tex]dG=-SdT-MdH[/tex]

and

[tex]M=-(\partial G/\partial H)_T[/tex].

So I don't get your result for part 1...

EDIT: oops, corrected signs

Last edited:
marcusl said:
Your post contains some confusion. First, your equation (*) for Helmholtz free energy should be written with dF rather than F.

Sorry. That was a typo.

Here's a quick trick that may be helpful for treating the magnetization. How can we decide without derivation whether dW is -HdM or -MdH? Well, the differential energy dF is extensive (depends on volume), and only -HdM depends differentially on a volume-dependent quantity M. Accordingly

[tex]dF=-HdM-SdT.[/tex] This should replace your (*).

Hmmm... I find in 'Statistical Mechanics, A Survival Guide', by Glazer and Wark, that the result [tex]dF = - MdB - SdT[/tex] (the one I have written down) is stated as a known result on pg. 34 (without proof: "from our knowledge of thermodynamics we know that for a magnetic system..."), followed by the expression

[tex]M = \left(-\frac{\partial F}{\partial B}\right)_{T}[/tex]

(I'm using H, of course, rather than B)

But I'm not sure how they arrived at that expression for dF...

Last edited:
Looking around online I found this
http://www.cmp.caltech.edu/refael/phys127/notes10new.pdf"
where Eqs. (12)-(13) seem to match if you replace my [tex]G[/tex] with his [tex]\mathcal{F}[/tex].

Anyone else?

EDIT: removed comment about free energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is magnetization?

Magnetization is the process by which a material becomes magnetized, meaning it acquires a magnetic field and exhibits magnetic properties.

How is magnetization measured?

Magnetization is typically measured in units of magnetic moment per unit volume, such as amperes per meter or teslas. It can be measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that detects and measures magnetic fields.

What factors affect magnetization?

The main factors that affect magnetization are the material's composition, temperature, and external magnetic field. Different materials have different magnetic properties and respond differently to changes in temperature and magnetic fields.

What is magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized when exposed to an external magnetic field. It is defined as the ratio of the material's magnetization to the applied magnetic field strength.

How is magnetic susceptibility related to magnetization?

Magnetic susceptibility and magnetization are directly related, meaning an increase in magnetic susceptibility will result in an increase in magnetization and vice versa. This relationship is described by the Curie-Weiss law, which states that magnetic susceptibility is proportional to the inverse of the absolute temperature.