How does the presence of ferrous material affect a compass's accuracy?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, if you have a compass that is magnetic, you would need to be very close to the object affecting the compass in order to see a deflection. If you have two compasses nearby, the closer one will be more affected by the object than the farther one.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
As a diver, I'm constantly struggling with accurate compass readings.

How much ferrous material at what distance would affect a compass? For example, would fifty pounds of steel two feet away affect the needle?

If the needle of a compass is magnetic, will the needles on two compii affect each other? At what range? Inches?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
How much ferrous material at what distance would affect a compass? For example, would fifty pounds of steel two feet away affect the needle?
It depends on the bearing of the steel object with respect to you. If it is due north or south, the effect will be smaller, and will possibly go unnoticed by the human eye. Will do a rough calculation if I find more time...

I have a pair of common needle nose pliers which I can see affects my compass visibly starting at about a foot away.
Safe bet, then, that 50 pounds of steel would throw a compass off a lot at two feet.

I also have two compasses. Placed next to each other east to west, I see no deflection. The more south or north one or the other is, the more they both vere from magnetic north and try to align with each other.

Gokul43201 said:
It depends on the bearing of the steel object with respect to you. If it is due north or south, the effect will be smaller, and will possibly go unnoticed by the human eye. Will do a rough calculation if I find more time...
The point though is that it will render any readings unreliable.

Yes would appreciate some corroboration of this effect.

zoobyshoe said:
I have a pair of common needle nose pliers which I can see affects my compass visibly starting at about a foot away.
Safe bet, then, that 50 pounds of steel would throw a compass off a lot at two feet.
Wow. That's a lot.

zoobyshoe said:
I also have two compasses. Placed next to each other east to west, I see no deflection. The more south or north one or the other is, the more they both vere from magnetic north and try to align with each other.
Also wow. I assume when you say next to each other, you mean < ~3".

There is no way to mitigate this effect is there? (I mean, other than the obvious: remove the offending metal, or at least balancing it.)

So divers using a compass are fighting a losing battle. I guess using an aluminum tank would be a definite advantage.

The compass is indeed not very accurate for a diver swimming around on a wreck. Divers typically only swim a short distance on a compass heading, though, so even a fairly large error won't put a diver more than a few feet from the intended destination. The compass is still an indispensable tool for a diver who needs to do nav.

- Warren

DaveC426913 said:
Also wow. I assume when you say next to each other, you mean < ~3".
I mean the compass housings are touching. One compass is two inches in diameter, the other, an inch and a half.

With excellent experimental results (thanks zoob), why do a calculation, eh ?

Going purely on intuition (when you can't calculate, you intuit :biggrin:), zoob's results look reasonable : a tiny compass needle, a couple of inches away will have much less effect than 50 lbs of steel a couple of feet away if the needle weighs 10 grams or less (this from the r^{-3} approximation of a dipole field).

What is magnetism and how does it relate to compasses?

Magnetism is a force that attracts or repels certain materials, such as iron or steel. Compasses use the Earth's magnetic field to point towards the Earth's magnetic North Pole.

How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a force that pulls on certain materials like iron, nickel, and cobalt. This force can be used to attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

Why do compasses always point North?

Compasses always point North because the Earth itself acts as a giant magnet, with its magnetic North Pole located near the geographic North Pole. This means that a compass needle is naturally attracted to the Earth's magnetic North Pole.

Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time due to factors such as heat, strong external magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, some materials, like iron, can be magnetized again if exposed to a strong enough magnetic field.

How do I use a compass for navigation?

To use a compass for navigation, you first need to identify the direction of North by aligning the compass needle with the directional arrow on the compass. You can then use the compass to determine other directions, such as East, West, and South, by rotating the compass dial and keeping the needle aligned with the directional arrow.