Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism and electrcity

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    magnetism and electrcity!!!

according to me as i think that when an electric field is created by creating a potential difference ,the force from the electric field changes the direction of spin maybe due to which the opposite effects takes place from magnetic field because magneticdipole becomes opposite.that's why,please explain me my problem here

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your problem is that what you have written is incomprehensible.

4. Dec 30, 2013 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

Only you know what's your problem.How will I know what is in your mind.What's your question?

5. Dec 30, 2013 #4
    If you want to learn more about electric fields and electricity I suggest the old 1940s-50s documentaries. I think you are talking about how transformers turn dc into ac.

6. Dec 31, 2013 #5
    But please consider my point even,i am saying that, "cant it happen like this that electric field could change the spin of electron moving in that particular direction due to their force" ?

7. Dec 31, 2013 #6
  8. Dec 31, 2013 #7
    or try here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics [Broken])
    maybe this is what you are asking??

edit: Harjot, you are aware 'SPIN" is a magnetic phenomenon, right, not electrical [not like charge] ? That's why in the MRI article, for example, they discuss a magnetic field rather than an electric field.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Dec 31, 2013 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I doubt that guessing what harjot singh means will get us very far. Let him explain it, please.

10. Dec 31, 2013 #9
    I was talking about the direction of spin and not the value.Very sorry for misconception and is direction of spin changes?otherwise please explain me,"how by changing electric field direction,the magnetic field direction i.e magnetic dipole also changes"? because if we are putting simply that due to change in electric field direction,the magnetic field direction also change,but it has to affect the electron's spin direction by any means and then only it can change magnetic field ....? but if i am wrong please do correct me!!!

Regards
    Harjot Singh

11. Dec 31, 2013 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In general, electric fields don't (have to) influence the direction of electron spins, or the direction of magnetic fields. If you have some specific experiment in mind, please tell us which one.

12. Dec 31, 2013 #11
    Maybe what is being asked is whether the magnetic field itself is sufficiently strong to orientate the spins along that axis? My understanding is that it's not strong enough to do that but only causes a precession about that axis.. is that correct?

13. Dec 31, 2013 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I doubt that guessing what harjot singh means will get us very far. Let him explain it, please.

14. Jan 1, 2014 #13
    Actually Jilang is correct to a certain point,what i was actually making in my question was that are those electric fields can provide the electron (moving towards them) enough "energy" that it can flip its spin direction ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook