1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism and gravity?

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    Hello all,
    My physics group is planning an experiment that involes the effects of magnets on fluid dynamiscs in a weighless enviroment. Unfortunately, we, and our advisor, are unsure if gravity has any effect upon a magnetic feild. Anybody know?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2
    If you are asking does gravity affect the magnitude and direction of a magnetic field as decribed by classical equations, then strictly speaking, I believe it does. BUT this would only be in cases of very high gravitational fields (like near black holes, etc...).

But on the earth, I would not expect any measurable effect.

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In terms of classical equations there would be no effect at all. In general relativity there is (gravity bends light and light is, after all, electromagnatism).

5. Oct 14, 2004 #4
    What he said. :smile: I kludged my words.

6. Oct 14, 2004 #5
    thanks all, i kind of figured for any measureable effect to occur, things would have to be a much much larger scale.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?