1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism and mechanical work

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    Hello!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a problem with magnetism and mechanical work.
    Two magnets are facing eachother with opposite poles, where the space between them is called x. The left magnet is beeing hold still, and the right magnet moved. The space between them increases from 2 to 7 cm. Estimate how much mechanical work this movement performs.

We do also have a table:

[​IMG]

Basically what's standing there is: "This table shows the relation between F and x"
    Avstand=distance and kraft=force. (Norwegian)

Link to the picture if it doesn't show up in the thread:
    http://dump.no/files/b1c64a658d37/Table.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]W=Fs[/tex]

[tex]F=\frac{k1}{x^{2}}[/tex] Where k=Boltzmann's constant

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt on this problem implies integration, because the force is not constant. I integrated [tex]F=\frac{k1}{x^{2}}[/tex] and got [tex]-\frac{1}{{x_B }} + \frac{1}{{x_A }}[/tex], where [tex]x_B[/tex]=2 and [tex]x_A[/tex]=7. I then get [tex]-\frac{5}{{14}}[/tex]. Am I supposed to multiply this with boltzmann's constant? And then put the result I found in the formula for work?

In advance, thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

It looks right. But convert of distance from cm to m. I don't think Boltzmann's constant appears in the magnetic force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?