1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism and photons

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    if electromagnetism is mediated by photons, what do photons have to do with magnetic fields?

more specifically, what is a magnetic field "made" of? surely there aren't photons released by an ordinary household magnet? i have a vague understanding that magnetic attraction has something to do with spin, can anyone explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    It might help to note that photons are actually "packets" of electromagnetic radiation.

4. Jun 16, 2010 #3
    i understand that, but surely magnetic fields aren't carried by photons as electromagnetism is. in fact, magnetic fields wouldn't be carried by any particle at all, as far as i understand, so if they're really electromagnetic phenomena, what do photons have to do with them?

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4
    photons are the excitation of the EM field . Maxwell thought what if an electric field could create a magnetic field and then that created an E field and so on and he found out that this traveled at the speed of light and he knew this was no coincidence , so we now know that light is a self-sustaining EM field .

6. Jun 17, 2010 #5
    Magnetic forces are transmitted by photons.

7. Jun 17, 2010 #6
    Photons are quantized EM fields. That is, they have an electric field component and a magnetic field component. They are perpendicular electric and magnetic fields moving through space generating each other.

And magnets interact with each other through the exchange of virtual photons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook