Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism and Photons

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    Im looking to do a little research on the effects of magnetism on photons. Can someone point me in a good direction to start? Any rare phenomena that is worth mentioning concerning this subject? Also, I read a while ago that scientists can bend light around small objects and make them invisible (I believe) either to ultraviolet light or microwaves, how would this be achieved?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Generally, since a photon has no charge, it is not affected by a magnetic field
    there's quite a few links in google when you ask your question there.
    even some come back to the physics forum archives where one of our PF mentors Zapperz made some good comments on the subject

mybe he will pop up again in this thread and do some clarifying

cheers
    Dave

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    Hopefully he will. Thanks. Anyone else maybe have some help for me?

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4
    If your question is, "can magnetic fields interact with electromagnetic waves?," then the answer is yes. Certain materials respond to static magnetic fields in such ways to modify the propagation of high-frequency electromagnetic waves such as microwaves and light. These are often used in engineering applications where you want to prevent feedback of EM radiation in your system. Some key words to look into are the Faraday effect, magneto-optics, and ferrites.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook