Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism and space.

1. Apr 27, 2006 #1
    this is not a school project its trying to find some answer or paper on: if magnetism can or can not bend space.

the closest theory that I've found is:

Theodor Kaluza (1885-1954) attracted the attention of the physical community since 1921 with his unified field theory of gravitation and electromagnetism in five dimensions.

yet there still seems to miss the question I'm trying to find some answer for "does magnetism bend space?" most papers I come across barely skim magnetism and switch over to how gravity affects space.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2

Mk

Magnetism doesn't be space, but gravity does.

4. Apr 28, 2006 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is due to he equivalence principle. If magnetism was subject to the equivalence principle then it would curve spacetime, however it is not.

5. Apr 28, 2006 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, magnetism DOES bend space, but only in very very tiny amounts. After all, the energy contained in the magnetic field contributes to the energy-momentum tensor, which is proportional to the Ricci curvature tensor (that's Einstein's equation).
    But the energy content in a magnetic field is usually so small (as compared to the energy equivalent, say, of a block of lead), that its gravitational coupling is unmeasureable.

6. Apr 28, 2006 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the question was aimed at 'is there a way of describing magnetism through a tensor theory' in a similar fashion to gravity. While mass is made up of all the interaction energies in a body including the magnetic and thus appears in Einstein's field equation it is the collective property of mass which determines spacetime curvature.

If a similar argument was proposed for magnetismthen two magnetic monopoles would not follow the same geodesic in a magnetic field unless their mass and the strength of the pole is the same with the same sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?