What is the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle?

In summary, this equation is for calculating the cross product of two vectors: v and B. v is the magnitude of the velocity vector, and B is the magnitude of the vector perpendicular to the velocity vector. The cross product of these two vectors is calculated by multiplying v by B and then subtracting the result from 1.
4Phreal
1. Here is the prompt:

http://imgur.com/mfbPidG

2. F = qv x B
3. At first this seemed like a simple cross product problem, and it probably still is, but I'm really confused as to what "3.70E6 m/s/ in the (i+j+k)/sqrt(3) direction" means, so I don't know how to set up my problem anymore. Could someone instruct me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
4Phreal said:
1. Here is the prompt:

http://imgur.com/mfbPidG

2. F = qv x B

3. At first this seemed like a simple cross product problem, and it probably still is, but I'm really confused as to what "3.70E6 m/s/ in the (i+j+k)/sqrt(3) direction" means, so I don't know how to set up my problem anymore. Could someone instruct me?

You are given v as a vector and B as a vector, both in rectangular coordinates. Just write the equation for the cross product, and solve for the components of F...

Right, um, but I don't know what the phrase in the problem that states the velocity vectors actually means (because I'm dumb), so I don't know what those are. Could you please explain what that phrase means?

Here is my attempt: http://imgur.com/5C7Z648

Last edited:
4Phreal said:
Right, um, but I don't know what the phrase giving me the vectors for v means (because I'm dumb), so I don't know what those are. Could you please explain what that phrase means?

v is the velocity magnitude multiplied by that unit vector u that you are given.

Are you familiar with how to use a Determinant to do the vector cross product in rectangular coordinates?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product

I'm familiar, I just don't know how to turn (i+j+k)/sqrt(3) into i, j, and k individually to perform the cross product. Is my attempt in the previous post how I would do it?

4Phreal said:
Right, um, but I don't know what the phrase in the problem that states the velocity vectors actually means (because I'm dumb), so I don't know what those are. Could you please explain what that phrase means?Here is my attempt: http://imgur.com/5C7Z648

4Phreal said:
I'm familiar, I just don't know how to turn (i+j+k)/sqrt(3) into i, j, and k individually to perform the cross product. Is my attempt in the previous post how I would do it?

That's close, but has a couple errors in it. First, the velocities are 3.7E6/√3, not 3.7E6/3√3. Where did that extra 3 in the denominator come from? You just distribute the 3.7E6 across each of the unit vectors to get the individual components. Does that make sense?

And in your Determinant calculation, you correctly show the two terms subtracting first, and then in the next line you show them adding...

I got the second 3 because I thought that (^i + ^j + ^k) divided by sqrt(3) equalled the velocity, so to get each individual part I divided by 3. But what you're saying is that they each individually equal 3.70E6 divided by sqrt(3), so there's no need to divide by that 3?

In my determinant calculation, the Bz is equal to -8.29, changing the subtraction sign into an addition one.

4Phreal said:
I got the second 3 because I thought that (^i + ^j + ^k) divided by sqrt(3) equalled the velocity, so to get each individual part I divided by 3. But what you're saying is that they each individually equal 3.70E6 divided by sqrt(3), so there's no need to divide by that 3?

In my determinant calculation, the Bz is equal to -8.29, changing the subtraction sign into an addition one.

Ah, I see now what you did with the sign.

Yes, to get the velocity, you just distribute the amplitude through with multiplication. No other operation is needed. Just like 5(i + j + k) = 5i + 5j + 5k.

Thanks! For some reason, the answer was positive instead of negative, but maybe that was just in the way the question was phrased.

1. What is the cross product in magnetism?

The cross product in magnetism is a mathematical operation that describes the relationship between two magnetic fields. It is used to determine the direction and strength of the magnetic force between two objects.

2. How is the cross product calculated in magnetism?

The cross product in magnetism is calculated using the right-hand rule, where the direction of the resulting vector is perpendicular to the two input vectors. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

3. What is the significance of the cross product in magnetism?

The cross product is significant in magnetism as it allows us to understand the interactions between magnetic fields and the resulting forces. It is a crucial concept in electromagnetism and is used in various applications such as motors and generators.

4. How does the direction of the cross product affect the resulting force?

The direction of the cross product determines the direction of the resulting force between two magnetic fields. If the cross product is positive, the force is directed outward, and if it is negative, the force is directed inward.

5. What are some real-life examples of the cross product in magnetism?

Some real-life examples of the cross product in magnetism include electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. These devices use the principles of the cross product to produce motion or generate electricity.