1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism direction

1. Jul 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A current carrying rod is held horizontally between the poles of a magnet by a magnetic force.
    magnet-current (into the page) -magnet
    determine which side is the north pole of the magnet?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I use the right hand rule, then the magnetic field direction is clockwise around the current.
    Is this right? What do I do next?

Thanks~

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2017 #2
    This is the question:

Attached Files:

4. Jul 21, 2017 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You don't want the magnetic field created by the current. You want the force on the current due to the magnetic field of the magnet.

5. Jul 21, 2017 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

6. Jul 21, 2017 #5
    To determine the direction of the magnetic field, why do we use the Right hand rule instead of Fleming's left-hand rule? Thanks~

7. Jul 21, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are various right-hand rules and left-hand rules that people have invented. Most recent textbooks that I have seen talk only about certain right-hand rules and don't mention any left-hand rules. But if you are familiar with Fleming's left-hand rule, then you can use it for this problem.

The right-hand rule to which @Doc Al refers is just as good and will yield the same result.

8. Jul 21, 2017 #7
    Got it! Thank you so much~

9. Jul 21, 2017 #8
    Hi, thank you! Can you please help me with this? It is a follow- up question of the previous one:
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 9.04.03 am.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted