1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism in infinite conducting slab

1. Aug 9, 2004 #1
    "a conducting slab has infinite extent in the x and y directions and thickness L in the z direction. The slab is centered at z=0 and carries a uniform current density J=Ji where i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directiosn."
    -Find the magnetic field B at all points.

-A square loop of side a is placed distance b above the slab. The loop has unit normal vector n=sin(q)i+cos(q)j and applied current J. what is the net force and net torque to the loop as a function of q?

-the applied current I is now removed from the loop and the current density in the slab J=Ji is reduced to zero over time T. The wire used to construct the loop has resistance/unit S. How much charge flows through each cross section of the loop wire due to the reduction in current density.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2004 #2
    What have you tried so far?

It seems to me ampere's law would work well in determining the magnetic field; use a square loop such that you know exactly how much current passing through it and the only field is at the top and bottom. Integrating a line of wires across the surface and then again through the depth is another option, but sounds horrible to me.

Once you have the magnetic field, the second part should come together easily enough.

4. Dec 9, 2004 #3
    i really dont know how to go about doing this when its not a single wire... sorry =(

5. Dec 9, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you considered the integral form of Ampere's Law?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?