Magnetism in infinite conducting slab

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the magnetic field at all points for a conducting slab with infinite extent in the x and y directions and thickness L in the z direction. The slab has a uniform current density J=Ji and is centered at z=0. A square loop of side a, with unit normal vector n=sin(q)i+cos(q)j and applied current J, is placed at a distance b above the slab. The net force and net torque on the loop as a function of q is requested. The applied current I is then removed from the loop and the current density in the slab is reduced to zero over time T. The wire used to construct the loop has resistance/unit S and the amount of
daveed
"a conducting slab has infinite extent in the x and y directions and thickness L in the z direction. The slab is centered at z=0 and carries a uniform current density J=Ji where i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directiosn."
-Find the magnetic field B at all points.

-A square loop of side a is placed distance b above the slab. The loop has unit normal vector n=sin(q)i+cos(q)j and applied current J. what is the net force and net torque to the loop as a function of q?

-the applied current I is now removed from the loop and the current density in the slab J=Ji is reduced to zero over time T. The wire used to construct the loop has resistance/unit S. How much charge flows through each cross section of the loop wire due to the reduction in current density.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

It seems to me ampere's law would work well in determining the magnetic field; use a square loop such that you know exactly how much current passing through it and the only field is at the top and bottom. Integrating a line of wires across the surface and then again through the depth is another option, but sounds horrible to me.

Once you have the magnetic field, the second part should come together easily enough.

i really don't know how to go about doing this when its not a single wire... sorry =(

Have you considered the integral form of Ampere's Law?

What is an infinite conducting slab?

An infinite conducting slab is a hypothetical object that is infinitely large in two dimensions (length and width) and has uniform conductivity throughout its thickness. This means that it has no boundaries or edges and can be thought of as a flat, two-dimensional surface with no end.

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that is created by the movement of electric charges. It is a fundamental force in nature and is responsible for the behavior of magnets and magnetic materials.

How does magnetism work in an infinite conducting slab?

In an infinite conducting slab, magnetism works by creating a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the surface of the slab. This magnetic field is created by the movement of electric charges within the slab, and it can be used to manipulate the behavior of other magnets or magnetic materials.

Can an infinite conducting slab have a varying magnetic field?

Yes, an infinite conducting slab can have a varying magnetic field. This can be achieved by either changing the magnetic properties of the slab itself or by introducing external magnetic fields. However, the magnetic field will always be perpendicular to the surface of the slab.

What are the practical applications of an infinite conducting slab?

An infinite conducting slab has many practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic shielding, and magnetic sensors. It is also used in theoretical studies of electromagnetism and magnetism in materials.