1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism: Magnetic force between wires

1. Nov 1, 2004 #1
    Magnetism: Magnetic field between wires

Two long parallel wires are a distance of d = 1 cm apart and carry equal antiparallel currents of 8 Amperes. Find the magnetic field intensity (in T) at the point P which is equidistant from the wires. (R = 10 cm).

This should be easy but I haven't gotten it right so far (as if that means it's hard). Here's what I did

[tex]B_1 = \frac{\mu_0i_i}{2\pi r_1}[/tex]
    [tex]B_1 = \frac{2\times 8}{\sqrt{0.1^2+0.005^2}}[/tex]
    = 1.598e-5 T roughly. Multiplied this by 2 since equal currents/radii in both wires. Vertical components cancel so I multiplied by [tex] \frac{0.1}{\sqrt{0.1^2+0.005^2}}[/tex] to get 3.192e-5 T. Where did I go wrong?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you got the angles wrong. Don't forget that the magnetic field from each wire is perpendicular to the radial vector.
  4. Nov 1, 2004 #3
    Yeah thanks I figured that out a few minutes after I posted but forgot to mention that little detail. What was I thinking?! Used the dot product instead of the cross product. Whoops.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?