Magnetism of an electromagnet

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a solenoid with 50 turns per cm carrying a current of 0.2 A and filled with an iron alloy. The task is to calculate the size of the applied field Bapp and the magnetization M in the iron alloy. The equations used are the magnetic field of a solenoid and Bt=Bapp+μ0*M, with the rearranged equation M= (Bt-Bapp)/μ0. The values calculated for Bapp and M are 0.0013 and 1.2106, respectively, which may seem small and large due to the SI units used. However, the answers are correct.
howdoIphysics
Hey I'm new here so I don't know if this is the right forum, but from what I could see this was the most relevant.

Homework Statement

A long solenoid with 50 turns per cm carries a current of 0.2 A. The solenoid is filled with an iron
alloy. The magnetic field B inside the iron alloy is measured to be 1.58 T acting parallel to the axis of
the solenoid.

Calculate the:
i) size of the applied field Bapp;
ii) size of the magnetization M in the iron alloy;

Homework Equations

This is my problem really as I don't know so far I've been using the magnetic field of a solenoid = (N/L)
*I*μ0, however I don't know if this correct or if it needs the permeability of the core to produce an accurate value.
I've also been using Bt= Bapp0*M rearranged to M= (Bt-Bapp)/μ0 to answer the second question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well this is just plugging numbers into the equations so I'm confident that I haven't done anything wrong here.
Assuming the solenoid field is Bapp, Bapp=5000*0.2*1.3×10−6 = 0.0013.
Putting that into the rearranged equation. M = (1.58 - 0.0013)/1.3×10−6 = 1.2106.

My problem here is those values seem very small and ridiculously large respectively, have I done something wrong or am looking for errors where there are none?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey, welcome to physicsforums! uh, your answers look good to me. Although when you hand in your work, you should probably give units, and maybe be a bit more careful on the rounding-off. But it's essentially good. And yes, one is very large and the other is very small. But this is just because SI units are like that. Looking at your equation M= (Bt-Bapp)/μ0 And since μ0 is very small in SI units, the ratio between Bt-Bapp and M will always be an 'extreme' ratio, in SI units.

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a wire coiled around a metal core. The metal core can be made of materials such as iron, cobalt, or nickel. The strength of the electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current passing through the wire.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

When an electric current flows through the wire of an electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The metal core inside the coil becomes magnetized and produces a magnetic field that is stronger than that of a permanent magnet. The direction of the magnetic field can be changed by reversing the direction of the electric current.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the wire coil, the amount of current passing through the wire, and the type of metal core used. Increasing the number of turns in the coil or the amount of current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while using a stronger metal core will also increase the strength of the electromagnet.

4. What are some practical applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in everyday items such as doorbells, refrigerators, and credit cards. Electromagnets are also important in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and telecommunications.

5. How can I make a simple electromagnet?

To make a simple electromagnet, you will need a battery, wire, and a metal object such as a nail or paperclip. Wrap the wire around the metal object several times to create a coil, leaving two ends of the wire free. Connect the ends of the wire to the positive and negative terminals of the battery, and the metal object should become magnetized. The more turns in the wire and the stronger the battery, the stronger the electromagnet will be.