1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism problem

1. May 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two 1m long current carrying wires are separated by 0.05m. One carries 2A and one carries 3A. What is the magnitude of the mutual force between them? In what direction does the force act on each wire?

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I apologize for not following the policy but I'm not sure where to start. I already have the answer so I'm not looking for an answer, but just how to go about solving the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Surely you must know something about magnetic force? Start by posting that, then we can take it from there....

4. May 5, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I guess I gave the impression that I know nothing..

Yes, I know that the force on a current carrying wire is found by F = IlBsin([tex]\vartheta[/tex]).

And I have that the formula for interaction between two sources is [tex]\frac{F}{l}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\mu I _{1} I_{2}}{2\pi r}[/tex]

I actually did just try plugging into that second equation but I can't seem to get the right answer. (Plus that would only solve magnitude)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook