1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism Problems

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    Problem 1.
    A proton moves perpandicularly to a magnetic field that has a magnitude of 4.70*10^-2 T.
    What is the speed of the particle if the magnitude of the magnetic force on it is 2.12*10^-14 N? Answer in m/s.
    Note: What formula should I use?

Problem 4.
    A proton moves straight upward (away from the ground) through a uniform magnetic field that points from east to west and has a magnitude of 4.7 T.
    a. If the proton moves with a speed 1.5*10^7 m/s through this field, what is the magnitude of the force acting on it? Answer in N.
    Note: What formula should I use?

Problem 8.
    The magnetic force on a straight 0.37m segment of wire carrying a current of 4.5 A is 0.60 N.
    What is the magnitude of the component of the magnetic field that is perpendicular to the wire? Answer in T.
    Note: What should i do first?

Problem 10.
    Given: g=9.81m/s^2.
    A thin 2.18m long copper rod in a uniform magnetic field has a mass of 52.2g. When the rod carries a current of 0.260 A, it floats in the magnetic field.
    What is the field strength of the magnetic field? Answer in T.
    NOte: Where do i start?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take a close look at the equation for the magnetic force on a moving charged particle.

Take a close look at the equation for the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire.

Draw a free body diagram, and balance the forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?