1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism Question Help Please

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1
    A conductor suspended by two flexible wires as shown in Figure P19.18 has a mass per unit length of 0.0500 kg/m.

Figure P19.18 (The picture is an attachment)

What current must exist in the conductor for the tension in the supporting wires to be zero when the magnetic field is 3.70 T into the page?

What is the required direction for the current?

Thanks alot guys I'm new to the board and looking for some help. I appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What have you done so far?

How do you find the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire?

4. Jul 31, 2008 #3
    Magnetic force on a current carrying conductor/wire

F=B(magnetic field)I(Current)L(Length)sin(theta)

I have no idea where to start can you help me out here or just get me started.

Whats throwing me off is this mass per unit length and the tension

5. Jul 31, 2008 #4

Doc Al

The mass per unit length will help you find the weight of the conductor.

In order for there to be zero tension in the support wires, what must the net force be on the conductor?

6. Jul 31, 2008 #5
    well for there to be zero tension in the support wires the net force should just be the opposite of the weight just like a bouyant force on a floating object. But if I dont have a length how can i get the weight of the object. I think thats the exact thing thats screwing me up.

7. Jul 31, 2008 #6

Doc Al

That's not exactly right. (I think you're on the right track--you're just describing it incorrectly.) What two forces act on the conductor?
    Maybe you don't need an actual value. :wink: Hint: Just call the length L and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?