Solving Magnetism Question: What Current & Direction is Needed?

• Thread starter adwlacrosse75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the problem involves a conductor suspended by two flexible wires with a mass per unit length of 0.0500 kg/m. To have zero tension in the wires when a magnetic field of 3.70 T is applied, a current must exist in the conductor. The direction of the current is required and can be found using the equation for magnetic force on a current-carrying conductor. The mass per unit length helps determine the weight of the conductor. The net force on the conductor must be equal to the weight in order for there to be zero tension in the wires. Calling the length L, we can solve for the required current to achieve zero tension.
adwlacrosse75
A conductor suspended by two flexible wires as shown in Figure P19.18 has a mass per unit length of 0.0500 kg/m.

Figure P19.18 (The picture is an attachment)

What current must exist in the conductor for the tension in the supporting wires to be zero when the magnetic field is 3.70 T into the page?

What is the required direction for the current?

Thanks a lot guys I'm new to the board and looking for some help. I appreciate it!

Attachments

• p19-18.gif
    p19-18.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

How do you find the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire?

Magnetic force on a current carrying conductor/wire

F=B(magnetic field)I(Current)L(Length)sin(theta)

I have no idea where to start can you help me out here or just get me started.

Whats throwing me off is this mass per unit length and the tension

adwlacrosse75 said:
Whats throwing me off is this mass per unit length and the tension
The mass per unit length will help you find the weight of the conductor.

In order for there to be zero tension in the support wires, what must the net force be on the conductor?

well for there to be zero tension in the support wires the net force should just be the opposite of the weight just like a bouyant force on a floating object. But if I don't have a length how can i get the weight of the object. I think that's the exact thing that's screwing me up.

adwlacrosse75 said:
well for there to be zero tension in the support wires the net force should just be the opposite of the weight just like a bouyant force on a floating object.
That's not exactly right. (I think you're on the right track--you're just describing it incorrectly.) What two forces act on the conductor?
But if I don't have a length how can i get the weight of the object. I think that's the exact thing that's screwing me up.
Maybe you don't need an actual value. :wink: Hint: Just call the length L and see what happens.

1. What is the equation for calculating the current and direction needed for solving magnetism?

The equation for calculating the current and direction needed for solving magnetism is V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

2. How do you determine the direction of the current for solving magnetism?

The direction of the current for solving magnetism can be determined by using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction your palm is facing is the direction of the force.

3. What is the significance of the direction of the current in solving magnetism?

The direction of the current is significant because it determines the direction of the magnetic force. This force can be attractive or repulsive depending on the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does changing the current affect the strength of the magnetic force?

Changing the current can affect the strength of the magnetic force. Increasing the current will increase the strength of the magnetic force, while decreasing the current will decrease the strength of the force. However, other factors such as the distance between the current and the magnetic field also play a role in determining the strength of the force.

5. What factors can affect the direction and strength of the magnetic force when solving magnetism?

The direction and strength of the magnetic force can be affected by several factors, including the direction and magnitude of the current, the strength and direction of the magnetic field, and the distance between the current and the magnetic field. Other factors such as the permeability of the material and the angle between the current and the magnetic field may also have an impact.