1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism question

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A compas needle points 20 degrees East of North outdoors. However, when it is placed 8cm to the east of a vertical wire inside a building, it points 55 degrees east of north. what is the magnitude and the direction of the current in the wire? the earth's field is 5.0E-5 and is horizontal

2. Relevant equations

Sin=O/H Cos=A/H

B=UI/ 2(pi)R

3. The attempt at a solution

i solved for the horizontal and vertical components of the earths magnetic field and found the components for the x and y to be 4.56E-5 and 2.04E-5 respectively.

i am stuck on how to find the components for the magnetic field of the wire.

any help will be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2
    What do the magnetic field lines around a wire look like?

4. Apr 29, 2007 #3
    there is no diagram, that is all the information given about the problem. i copied the problem word for word out of the book.

5. Apr 29, 2007 #4
    You didn't cover magnetic field lines in class? The book doesn't cover them in the section preceding the problem?

6. Apr 30, 2007 #5
    it does, but it doesnt cover this type of question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?