Calculating Magnetic Forces on Moving Charges in a Magnetic Field

• Thread starter silentcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary: So yes, your solutions seem correct.In summary, the conversation involves solving two problems involving magnetic forces. The first problem involves determining the force acting on a proton moving in a magnetic field, while the second problem involves determining the magnitude of the magnetic field acting on a wire with a given current. Formulas for calculating magnetic forces are used in both problems, and the solutions are found to be -3.15x10^-12 N [South] and 0.29 T, respectively.
silentcoder

Homework Statement

1. Determine the magnetic force acting on an proton (m = 1.67 x 10-27 kg) moving at 2.9 x 106 m/s in a magnetic field of 6.8 T. The proton is moving south. The magnetic field points straight down.

2. A 6.0 m long wire with 7.0A of current flowing through it experiences a force of 12 N. Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field. You may assume that the current and the magnetic field are 90° to one another.

Homework Equations

1. Fm = qvbsinƟ
2. Fm = IlBsinƟ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. There was no charge given so is it alright to use charge of 1.6x10^-19?
Fm = qvbsinƟ
Fm = (1.6x10^-19 C)(2.9x10^6 m/s)(6.8T) sin 90
Fm = 2.53 x 10^-12 N

2. No magnetic field strength is given so how can i figure out the magnetic field strength?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would love to know as well...

silentcoder said:

Homework Statement

1. Determine the magnetic force acting on an proton (m = 1.67 x 10-27 kg) moving at 2.9 x 106 m/s in a magnetic field of 6.8 T. The proton is moving south. The magnetic field points straight down.

2. A 6.0 m long wire with 7.0A of current flowing through it experiences a force of 12 N. Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field. You may assume that the current and the magnetic field are 90° to one another.

Homework Equations

1. Fm = qvbsinƟ
2. Fm = IlBsinƟ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. There was no charge given so is it alright to use charge of 1.6x10^-19?
Yes. A proton has charge = electron but + instead of -.
Fm = qvbsinƟ
Fm = (1.6x10^-19 C)(2.9x10^6 m/s)(6.8T) sin 90
Fm = 2.53 x 10^-12 N

2. No magnetic field strength is given so how can i figure out the magnetic field strength?

Thanks

What is the force on a wire of length L in a B field if the B field is orthogonal to the wire? Very basic formula ...

For number 1 i get: Fm = -3.15x10^-12 N[South]

For number 2 I am having hard time understanding what you are trying to say.

silentcoder said:
For number 1 i get: Fm = -3.15x10^-12 N[South]

For number 2 I am having hard time understanding what you are trying to say.

If you'll try to answer my question ... I should have added, the wire has a current i flowing thru it.

Last edited:
rude man said:
If you'll try to answer my question ...

The formula will be F = ILB SinƟ

This is what I get:
F = ILB sin 90
12 N = (7.0 A)(6.0 m)B sin 90
12 N/(7.0 A)(6.0 m) = B sin 90
2/7 = B sin 90
B = 2/7 T
B = 0.29 T

Last edited:
silentcoder said:
The formula will be F = ILB SinƟ

This is what I get:
F = ILB sin 90
12 N = (7.0 A)(6.0 m)B sin 90
12 N/(7.0 A)(6.0 m) = B sin 90
2/7 = B sin 90
B = 2/7 T
B = 0.29 T

Looking good ...

rude man said:
Looking good ...

Thanks so were those 2 questions correct?

I did not check your numbers but the formulas were correct.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a fundamental force of nature that results from the movement of electric charges. It is the force of attraction or repulsion between objects with magnetic fields.

2. How does magnetism work?

Magnetism is caused by the alignment of electrons in an object, which creates a magnetic field. This field can attract or repel other objects with magnetic fields.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

There are two main types of magnets: permanent magnets and electromagnets. Permanent magnets, such as bar magnets, have a constant magnetic field. Electromagnets are created by passing an electric current through a wire, and the strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the current.

4. What are some real-life applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in data storage devices like hard drives.

5. Can magnetism be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetism can be blocked or shielded by certain materials, such as iron, steel, or mu-metal. These materials have a high magnetic permeability, which means they can redirect the magnetic field away from the object behind it.