Calculating Magnetic Torque: Circular Wire Loop in a Uniform Field

In summary, the question is asking for the magnetic torque on a circular loop of wire with a radius of .5m and carrying a current of 2A, when the plane of the loop is parallel to a uniform magnetic field of .30T. After some confusion about the angle of the loop and the number of turns, it is determined that the loop is parallel to the exterior magnetic field and has one turn. The calculated magnetic torque is 0.471 N. The book does not provide an answer for this question.
Dx
A circular loop of wire of radius .5m is in a iniform magnetic field of .30T. the current in the loop is 2A. what is the magnetic torque when the plane of the loop is parallel to the magnetic field?

Ok i first misread this and assued that it meant parallel or sin(90 degrees) which equals 0.

I have thus far...
A = PI * r^2 = PI * .5^2 = .785 now plug thast into this formula.
t = NIAB = (?)(2)(.785)(.3). I know that to get the number of turns is number of loops divided by length. But there is no such animal, I have a feeling that I am using the wrong formula perhaps or have done something incorrect. I've tripled check and still get .471 as my answer. What am I doing wrong?
dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
"Ok i first misread this and assued that it meant parallel or sin(90 degrees) which equals 0."

Actually, sin(90)= 1, not 0. Did you mean cos?

You are told that the loop is parallel to the exterior magnetic field. That means that the loop's magnetic field (which is perpendicular to the plane of the loop) is perpendicular to the exterior magnetic field.

" I know that to get the number of turns is number of loops divided by length"

I don't understand this- the number of turns IS the number of loops. Do you mean "loops per unit length"?

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
"Ok i first misread this and assued that it meant parallel or sin(90 degrees) which equals 0."

Actually, sin(90)= 1, not 0. Did you mean cos?

You are told that the loop is parallel to the exterior magnetic field. That means that the loop's magnetic field (which is perpendicular to the plane of the loop) is perpendicular to the exterior magnetic field.

I don't understand this- the number of turns IS the number of loops. Do you mean "loops per unit length"?

"Actually, sin(90)= 1, not 0. Did you mean cos?"

I already knew that but thought I read somewhere in the book about it. Ill double check cuase your correct.

Yes!

What am I doing wrong Ivy? I need help, please?
Dx
:wink:

A circular loop of wire of radius .5m is in a iniform magnetic field of .30T.

a circular LOOP means that the no of turns=1.

this gives the answer 0.471 N so i think your answer is correct.
Does the book gives different answer?

Originally posted by teddy
a circular LOOP means that the no of turns=1.

this gives the answer 0.471 N so i think your answer is correct.
Does the book gives different answer?

No! This question is one of those w/o the answer in the back of the book. I am going to ask again in class tomorrow, I do also beilive its correct. Thanks!
Dx :wink:

1. What is magnetic torque?

Magnetic torque is a measure of the rotational force experienced by a magnetic object in a magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic torque calculated?

Magnetic torque can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic moment of an object by the strength of the magnetic field and the sine of the angle between the two.

3. Can magnetic torque be applied to circular wire loops?

Yes, magnetic torque can be applied to circular wire loops as they also have a magnetic moment and are able to rotate in a magnetic field.

4. What is a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field is a magnetic field that has the same strength and direction at every point in space.

5. How does the shape of a wire loop affect the magnetic torque calculation?

The shape of a wire loop does not affect the magnetic torque calculation as long as the loop has a consistent magnetic moment and is able to rotate freely in the magnetic field.