Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism without charge

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    In order for magnetism to be present doesn't electricity have to be present? A electron moves from a negative charge to positive charge and magnetism is the motion of electric charge, resulting in attractive and repulsive forces between objects. It seems to me that if a negative and positve charge exist then magnetism must present. Any insight would be greatly appreciated because we are starting electrical charges and forces in my physics II class and would like someone elses insight, please.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2
    When there is Electricity (MOVEMENT of charges) then there is Magnetism i.e moving electrons (Current) Produce magnetic field around them.

Secondly Changing Magnetic field causes Electricity to flow in wires put in changing magnetic field.[ Faraday's Law ]

So Electricity and Magnetism Comes in pair.

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It depends on how far you want to go with this. Note that both neutrons and neutrinos are neutral, and yet, they have a net magnetic moment due to the spin angular quantum number.

Zz.

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

On neutrino magnetic moment...

I was under the impression that experiments so far have not definitively measured a neutrino magnetic moment, but only established upper limits.

Perhaps you know of more recent results? If so, could you give references please?

6. Sep 21, 2011 #5
    Thank you for this explanation because I think I am starting to grasp the concept of electrons, they seem to be the ones doing the traveling which creates the work/potential. Electrons are in everything and are constantly moving and therefore creating some sort of electricity....??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook