1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetization of a gas

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1

bobie

Gold Member

What happens if we apply a magnetic field to a gas in vacuum, (like H or He)?,
    do the atoms get aligned like in ferromagnetic material and produce in their turn a strong magnetic field?,
    if they don't, why so?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

It depends on which gas it is. Most of the gases are diamagnetic, some paramagnetic and ferromagnetic gases are very rare.

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3

bobie

Gold Member

Can you give me an example of ferromagnetic gas? and what about H?
    Since in a gas atoms are not bound (as in iron) what determines its reaction to a magnetic field?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. Mar 24, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5

bobie

Gold Member

Thanks for the interesting ling, Ultrafast, If I got it right alignment can occur at extremely low temperatures, because repulsive collisions between atoms are stronger than the magnetic force, and I suppose in laboratoty you cannot get a sufficiently strong magnetic field.

I hope you could explain a couple o obscure points
    in your wiki article they say "The permanent moment generally is due to the spin of unpaired electrons in atomic or molecular electron orbitals (see Magnetic moment). "
    - is the magnetism dependent only on the electron spin (which is very weak : [itex]\hbar[/itex]?
    doesn't the B field produced by the standing wave ,which is a lot stronger, play any tole at all?
    - In QM, I learned, the electron wave id 3-D, how can the electron spin be stuck only in one direction
    in such model?
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  7. Mar 24, 2014 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Electron spin - the Pauli exclusion principle permits two electrons in the same "quantum state" = "orbital" if they have opposite spin.

The spin of an electron has an associated magnetic moment - thus the unpaired electrons are the most important source for magnetic fields at the atomic/molecular level.

8. Mar 25, 2014 #7

bobie

Gold Member

Thanks, ultrafast, I am thinking of H to take the simplest case

I meant:
    yes, the spin does have a magnetic moment, [itex]\mu[/itex](e)
    - does it have also an associated magnetic field B(e)?, and,
    - does the magnetic field generated by the orbit B(o) and its associated magnetic moment [itex]\mu[/itex](o) play any role in the magnetization ?
    Thanks again

9. Mar 25, 2014 #8

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Mar 30, 2014 #9

bobie

Gold Member

We know that in QM the value of the spin momentum L(e) and the value of the orbital momentum L(o)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_motion_(quantum)#Orbital_Angular_Momentum) are the same as in classical model = [itex]\hbar[/itex], the value of [itex]\mu[/itex]e is [itex]\hbar*2.0023[/itex] (ge), right?

What is the value of B(e) and B(o) in neutral H atom according to QM model or current theory? how do we calculate it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook