Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetization of a gas

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1

bobie

Gold Member

What happens if we apply a magnetic field to a gas in vacuum, (like H or He)?,
    do the atoms get aligned like in ferromagnetic material and produce in their turn a strong magnetic field?,
    if they don't, why so?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

It depends on which gas it is. Most of the gases are diamagnetic, some paramagnetic and ferromagnetic gases are very rare.

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3

bobie

Gold Member

Can you give me an example of ferromagnetic gas? and what about H?
    Since in a gas atoms are not bound (as in iron) what determines its reaction to a magnetic field?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. Mar 24, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5

bobie

Gold Member

Thanks for the interesting ling, Ultrafast, If I got it right alignment can occur at extremely low temperatures, because repulsive collisions between atoms are stronger than the magnetic force, and I suppose in laboratoty you cannot get a sufficiently strong magnetic field.

I hope you could explain a couple o obscure points
    in your wiki article they say "The permanent moment generally is due to the spin of unpaired electrons in atomic or molecular electron orbitals (see Magnetic moment). "
    - is the magnetism dependent only on the electron spin (which is very weak : [itex]\hbar[/itex]?
    doesn't the B field produced by the standing wave ,which is a lot stronger, play any tole at all?
    - In QM, I learned, the electron wave id 3-D, how can the electron spin be stuck only in one direction
    in such model?
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  7. Mar 24, 2014 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Electron spin - the Pauli exclusion principle permits two electrons in the same "quantum state" = "orbital" if they have opposite spin.

The spin of an electron has an associated magnetic moment - thus the unpaired electrons are the most important source for magnetic fields at the atomic/molecular level.

8. Mar 25, 2014 #7

bobie

Gold Member

Thanks, ultrafast, I am thinking of H to take the simplest case

I meant:
    yes, the spin does have a magnetic moment, [itex]\mu[/itex](e)
    - does it have also an associated magnetic field B(e)?, and,
    - does the magnetic field generated by the orbit B(o) and its associated magnetic moment [itex]\mu[/itex](o) play any role in the magnetization ?
    Thanks again

9. Mar 25, 2014 #8

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Mar 30, 2014 #9

bobie

Gold Member

We know that in QM the value of the spin momentum L(e) and the value of the orbital momentum L(o)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_motion_(quantum)#Orbital_Angular_Momentum) are the same as in classical model = [itex]\hbar[/itex], the value of [itex]\mu[/itex]e is [itex]\hbar*2.0023[/itex] (ge), right?

What is the value of B(e) and B(o) in neutral H atom according to QM model or current theory? how do we calculate it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook