1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetized piping

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hello and thank you for your time, OK enough of that Question I have is
    (1) A gas pipe in-service 16" .375 wall X52 carbon pipe and has been depressurized & cold cut and to weld a new spool piece to replace old on. At this time it was found to be magnetized. What is the safest way to demagnetize pipe to be welded?
    I have read two ways. One is with heat but no one has told me the temperature which could be a factor in the integrity of the pipe and two rapping the lead but which end the positive or negative and which current electrode positive or electrode negative
    Please explain in full detail & thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Apr 21, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was reading this and thinking what the ???

how can you magnetise a carbon pipe .... then I realised the OP omitted an important word .... steel as in carbon steel :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted